wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

...and tv gripes

So, next to go is the cable service. Apparently Bright House isn't. Have had service interruptions and quality issues for a week. OF COURSE it goes out right when the guest I've been waiting for comes on the late night talk shows. Or any other really neat thing that doesn't happen to be a rerun yet. Grrrr...

Only good thing is I can say "Hah!" to the spouse, who didn't see why we needed to buy a couple of converter boxes and antennae if we have cable... :roll: (Because, my dear, Murphy's Law and corollaries state that whatever can go wrong, will; and it's not if, but when.) Not a plethora of channels but at least I could finish the interview. It seems to happen every night at the same time; they must be trying to reboot or something. They say it'll take another couple of days to fix the problem. It's never taken this long before, usually within 24 hours it's fixed. Ah, technology.

webmaster
Site Admin

They say it'll take another couple of days to fix the problem.
The latest trend with companies is to refer to :roll: repairs as "upgrades to the system."

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I cringed when I got a notice from my financial institution saying they were "upgrading their computer systems" last month. :o :o :o

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Wing, Direct TV... and a DVR while you're at it.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

From what I hear, Charlie, satellite acts the same way and is more weather-sensitive than cable. Now the dvr... But then we'd need one of those nifty HD flat screens, hmm, maybe a surround-sound system... Well, you see where this is going! :roll:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Amen brother on the flat screen. You can see the news reporter's zits. Amen on the surround, I love the sensation of bleeding ears and cringing when that missile seems to fly through your head. Since I never watch TV live, it doesn't matter if I lose reception during a storm. It rarely storms during a show I've recorded. I don't know why. It does take a whopper of a storm to lose reception though. Dip into that rusty wallet. Help end the recession. It's down right patriotic. Man.I give myself goosebumps.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Better re-read my post on a/c--just dropped several $K on new central air--there's nothing left in the ol' wallet, not even rust. But we're cool... 8)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Never any doubt that you're cool Wing. Re DVR, I set one on the boat since it only costs $5 per month extra to have one in an RV or boat if you have one at home. We like to watch light stuff late at night on the hook. Some how we ended up with 157 Frasiers and nothing else. I must have done something wrong.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

:lol: We bought a tv at a yard sale for the mom, tested it and discovered it's a "cable-only" tv! I've never seen anything like it--no external antenna hookup, one coax and l/r channel receptacles; the remote has power and channel up/down, the rest of the buttons are for a vcr! No volume control, no ability to dial in a channel. Oddest thing I've seen in a long time. So, the search is still on for a decent tv for the mom, who has a couple of ancient 13" jobs that are slowly dying; besides the fact that she can't see enough detail on the picture.

Got the new a/c and of course the temps drop to British Isles range again! Bright House finally got their act mostly together. We will be negotiating a credit for unuseable days. Some of the music channels are still "unavailable", so we'll see.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wing, you so funny. I haven't had a TV without the coax only hookup since 1983. I remember because we bought it when my wife was laid up for a week from oral surgery. You can buy a universal remote at any drug store for about 10 bucks. I found one with big easy see buttons for my pop.

MIL still has one of the old RCA consoles from the mid sixties. Picture is decent although it's on it's 10th remote or thereabouts. We put a coax adapter on it for her to have cable back in the 80's.

On the weather we've been in low 90's which is perfect cruising weather. The boat is in the best shape it's been in since we got it. I've finished restoring the fly bridge from it's near destruction during the move. We spent 3 days on the hook and got back today. I'm trying to find unsecured wifi zones so I can get on line while anchored but that's not as easy as it sounds.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well sure you're gonna have trouble getting WiFi if you're dragging an anchor around with your laptop! :? Wait, what?

Need the antenna hookup as it's for a converter/digi antenna setup for the mom.

The cruisin' sounds delightful. Around here we're gearing up for the Woodward Dream Cruise in August. Folks have been cruisin' Woodward for nearly 3 weeks now, just like the old days. And with the sponsorship withdrawn from many big corporations, more spectator space will be freed up for Joe Average (Think those Miller Light commercials). I hope it will be more like the first year or so, where it was just a million or so of your closest friends ogling all the metal. Yeah, I know it's a colossal waste of planetary resources, but, (sigh) the memories!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't mind the Woodward Dream Cruise myself. I love the rumble of 454s. I have twins on the boat. Sounds a little like bike week at Myrtle Beach.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately, I'll miss the Cruise--we leave for MO that day. :(

Earl K
Green Thumb

Charlie-454's-Gotta love that fuel bill.Probably why you hang around on the hook?Well yesterday I went for a second interview at a brand new marina I'll prob. be working at soon(running forklift) they have a new forklift that will lift 40,000 lbs.Now thats impressive.Cant wait to get on that monster :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wow Earl, 40,000 lbs? Only very old boats Hatts, Eggs and Chris Crafts sport that kind of weight. Do any of those new tupperware/composite things weigh that much? Is this one of those places with ten story racks and elevators?

Earl K
Green Thumb

All dry storage 5 levels high boats up to 40 ft. 220 capacity.Building rated at 140 mph.(hurricane)But no elevators :D And all brand new :)Funny you said something about those tupperware boats-You really cant store those on trailers in the Fl. heat-The bunks on the trailer slowly sink into the boat-leaving a real wavy bottom :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a great gig for a boat lover. We decided on an old boat partially because of a few stories I'd read on Chris's Eggs and Hatt's breaking loose in hurricanes and destroying boatyards. I saw an un believable picture of a Hatt that literally bashed a seawall and sidewalk to pieces while surviving the storm with scratches. I figured that kind of boat was for me. coastal boaters who claim to have never run aground in my experience are either liars or don't boat much. :)

Earl K
Green Thumb

Yeah,I'm ready.Those older boats are built like tanks.I have been in the industry for 15 years.Some boats are actually 1 1/2-2 inches thick.Now your lucky to see a quarter inch.We had 2 hurricanes in 04 and had a lot of damage.Many stories I could tell,37 sea ray back flip over dock-sunk-Boat comes up with surge-pyling pierces boat in center when it comes down.Now how do you get that out?We had 17 boats sink that year.I'm glad thats over the current marina I'm at was to become condos but not in this market.Take care

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I think I could afford a Tupperware boat! (pause) Nope. Considering the price of Tupperware these days, and that I'd probably have to buy a whole set of useless stuff to get the one thing I want... Never mind.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”