hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Blood pressure spike, yuk!

My wife and I went out the other night and on the way stopped for a quick burger at five guys. I ordered a single patty cheese burger, fries, and coke. Well the singe burger actually got served as a double patty burger, and after killing the cow, heck if I was not going to waste that extra patty. After finishing, got a refill on the coke as a take out. That was about 7 p.m. I probably drank half of the second medium coke. Then after returning home had one cup of black tea, perhaps 1/3 cup of the brew and 2/3 diluted with water. I had forgotten that for some reason my wife brewed this batch extra strong. Anyway, went to bed and was drousing off into that twilight zone, when my wife says, "Alex, are you shaking your foot?", which is a habit of mine. I woke up and told her no. She said that something was vibrating the bed, felt like a motor vibrating. Well, I proceeded to go back to sleep, but noticed that these motor like vibrations were coming out of my chest/body, so much so, that it was shaking the bed and bothering the wife. I got up and checked my blood pressure as a precaution, which normally runs about 115/75. My b.p. was 145/95 on that first reading. I went downstairs and drank about a glass and a half of water, figuring to help pass that tea off. The next b.p. check clocked in at about 160/100, which starts to get a bit risky. Did a quick google of relation between caffeine and b.p., all articles said the the equivalent of three cups of coffee could raise b.p. about 5-14 points for as long as three hours. Well, my b.p. was spiking around 50 points on the top and about 25 points on the bottom number. Also ran across an article that mentioned elevated triglicerides as having the ability to dramatically increase b.p. I stayed up and monitored the b.p. until 2 a.m. when that reading dropped back down to around 145/92, then a few minutes later 138/84, then 125/80, and then back down to about 115/75 before 3 a.m. From that point through the next morning the b.p. stayed in the normal zone of under 120/80. I'm just wondering if this was a strange one time event triggered by the perfect combination of bad foods. One thing for sure, in the future will stick to mild teas in the p.m. Will never eat a double burger again, or large portion of any kind of beef, which is generally only eaten a couple of times per month and in small portions anyway. B.P. continues to run at 118/76 as of the typing of this post. Hope I've got a handle on the trigger for that spike. Certainly was not very comfortable, lower back/kidney area has actually been tender for the two days after the b.p. spike. I think that this has happened before, but did not identify the problem at the time. Think that previously was food and beverage induced as well. Certainly is a wake up call for me. IMO most anyone should have a b.p. monitor as a routine screen, especially if having what feels like an episode. High quality digital monitors are well under $100 and good to have, as in my opinion single or isolated readings don't tell much of a story. A string of several readings done throughout a day and occassional readings done several times during the month, can start to paint a good picture of where your blood pressure generally runs. Anything over 120/80 as an average reading, and diet or medication options should be explored with the doctor. Any more of these spikes for me, and it will be off to the doctor for assessment/counsel.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Fri May 01, 2009 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I agree. I've had a b.p. monitor for several years now; my pain was such that it regularly elevated my blood pressure.

My doctor recommended that I bring the digital monitor in once a year so she could calibrate it and make sure it was still giving me accurate readings.

It's good to measure your b.p. once a day for maybe the first week so that you know what's normal *for you* and can correlate it to how you're feeling. After that, work out a frequency that feels comfortable but not obsessive, and KEEP A RECORD.

I weigh myself at the same time as I take my b.p. just to keep myself honest. :lol:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Sounds scary Alex. I 've been on BP meds for 25 years. I had palpitations a few years back and per my doctor's suggestion I bought a BP monitor. I used to check it pretty routinely and one day I took it with me to check it against the doctor's. They didn't read the same. He got curious and took readings with several other monitors in his office. None of them read the same.

Part of it was that BP will fluctuate slightly per the doc. The office machines only showed a 3 or 4 point variation from each other but more like 15 or 20 from my little digital one. I took it back and swapped it at Eckards. The next doctor visit yielded the same results. The doc had even replaced all his monitors [sphygmomanometer] in his office. They didn't read the same as my new one. Bottom line is that I'd check your meter several times before I trusted it[if I ever did}. I am leary of mine.

FWIW your heart can pound so someone can feel it in the same bed and your BP can read normal. The only way to be sure there aren't heart problems is a nuclear stress [not the regular one]. A large meal can for sure run up BP aswell as heart rate. Caffeine can elevate both as well.

What you describe is what scared me years ago to become an exercise demon and eat fairly sanely. That's why I was reluctant to give up sweet tea. It is my last vice. It's kind of the real "big chill". Good luck.

CharlieK

Your normal blood pressures sound good. I have had borderline high blood pressure (140/90) most of my life but not high enough for medication. I, too, exercise by walking and not using extra salt at the table. It now runs about 125/75 and my doctor is happy with that. I have had spikes in the evening before and had to attribute it to a large greasy meal in most cases. I too measure mine on a regular basis. I hope you can isolate the cause to that meal and tea so you won't worry yourself all night again.

I saw that big thread on "sweet tea". I try to stay away from as many sweet drinks as possible. I really believe that sweet tea is one major cause of obesity being so high here in the South. The kids are raised on it. I read also that kids as young as 12-15 are being treated for high blood pressure. That's pretty scary! :o
I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs. Addison

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Funny thing about artificial sweetners. I've always told my wife that somehow artificial sweetners and other diet products have a tendency to increase weight rather than decrease it. Well, they are finally finding solid evidence that there is some merit to that assertion. Artificial sweetners somehow stimilate your body in to craving or wanting more. Then of course there is the psychological aspect where the 'dieter' uses the reduced calorie aspect as a license to larger portions, thereby causing the 'diet' product to be counter productive.

Anyway, just a few days ago, I saw the first sensible suggestion that I've ever seen related to artificial sweetners. Basically the lady said that too much sugar is bad for a person. Also said that too much artificial sweetners also have problems associated with them. Her guideline was to have no more that a couple of sweetened products per day, regardless of whether they contain caloric sweetners or some low calorie sweetner.

I have two very close friends who are obese and who also drink diet drinks as a substitute for water. Furthermore, they consume large amounts of the sweetners in various foods or deserts. One has now gone the terrible diabetes route, and the other constantly fights the yo-yo diet swings of 25 to 60 pounds. I think that neigher will ever have any real success as long as the addiction to sweets, artificial or not, continues. It seems to me that the artificial sweetners help create an itch that does quite get scratched, and that sets up a cycle of constantly trying to scratch that itch by consuming more and more. IMO this is an exteme example of the consumer being taking for a ride by the marketers. Early on these products were marketed only for diebetics. Probably that should mostly be the case now as it pretty ridiculous that so many healthy people consume the amount of diet drinks and artificial sweetners that they do.

Let the buyer beware! Timeless advice IMO.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

eshenry

HHHmmm. I am more interested in that motor like hum from your body that your wife could hear. Also, soreness in lower back could be kidney issues. Either way, you really need to tell this to your MD. Any history of vessel disease in your family?
Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”