wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Cussing & swearing.

One careless click. Screen lights up like a Christmas tree with security warnings. Heuristic viruses, keyloggers, you name it. :twisted: One week later, 'puter is all clean, disinfected, heat sink wires tightened, etc., etc. (Like I know what I'm talking about.) Moral of the story: Don't get complacent clicking on links from news stories or RSS feeds. Ever.

Most of the cussing/swearing came from self-anger that I fell for this. Then at the idiota who have nothing better to do. Really grinds my gizzard.

RACKFRACKENTACKSMACKENFRAMMINONTHEJIMJAM!!!!

I feel better now. A little.

On a lighter note, I finally got that 17" f.p. monitor hooked up, which is why I'm now rearranging everything on my desk so it fits. I had a whole copy paper box of STUFF that I now have to go through. Ugh. Good thing it's too cold to garden yet. {sigh}

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wingdesigner wrote: Heuristic viruses, keyloggers, you name it. :twisted: One week later, 'puter is all clean, disinfected, heat sink wires tightened, etc., etc. (Like I know what I'm talking about.) Moral of the story: Don't get complacent clicking on links from news stories or RSS feeds. Ever.
{sigh}
I don't know what this means Wing. What's rss? Are you talikng about news papers like WSJ or Wash. Post? Splain a little bro.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Neither do I, CharlieMV!
Keyloggers are sneaky little programs that capture every keystroke and send it off to a remote location; meaning any password or personal info is captured and probably sold.

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It a common tool or feed to get updated articles from news services, among others. Here's a Wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)

They also fixed my "thermostat" on the inside of the case--the heat sink draws heat away from the delicate innards and keeps the insides cool. If it's not working properly then the fans kick in to cool down, making a whole lot more noise.

However, getting my puter back, I've discovered that I cannot follow links from my notifications if I'm using IE8. Will be pm'ing the poor webmaster about that one.

It's a real love/hate thing with 'puters here. :evil:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Hmmmm, obviously I don't get the most out of my internet experience. I go to 3 discussion boards pretty routinely and read about 5 newspapers as time permits. No danger of the me hitting the RSS stuff. :oops:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

It's that little orange/white square icon, looks like three white crescents on an orange background. My problem wasn't with the feed, but after clicking on an article, and then a link in that article, and then a link in THAT article; for about 4 times, I got complacent and didn't pay attention to what was showing up in either the address bar or on the bottom of the screen and then, BAM!! I was toast. At least I didn't have to reformat my hard drive...

applestar
Mod

Wow :hide: is the crisis is over? -- glad all's (mostly) well now wing. :D
I'm now rearranging everything on my desk so it fits
My DH just went through this process -- still got stuff all AROUND the desk, but the desktop is pristine! :roll: :lol:
He's offered me his old flatscreen since he's got the new bigger one, but I'm scratching my head wondering how I'd get it to fit on MY desk. :()

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Not quite. I can't click on any links when I use IE to open my email notifications. There's a way around that, but apparently I jumped the gun upgrading to IE8. Now I'm trying to find a way to roll back to IE7.

No wonder I'm going bald.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”