webmaster
Site Admin

News Reports About April 1st Computer Attacks

So there's an event set to happen Wednesday [url=https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344198,00.asp]according to many news sites[/url]. Thousands of computers are said to be compromised but so far in Australia where it's already Wednesday it doesn't seem to be making much of a splash, so it may be overhyped. However, I wanted to post some helpful links to make it easier for you to make sure your computer is not vulnerable... Just in case. 8)

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has [url=https://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1238443907751.shtm]posted some guidelines[/url].

On that page they list various tools to help identify and remove any infections your PC may have. [url=https://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-011316-0247-99]Here is a tool by Symantec[/url] that you can download for free.

You can also download the [url=https://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx]Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool[/url]. Although there should be one already running in the background, it may make you feel good (it did for me :)) to download this one and run it anyway.

If you are unsure of your own antivirus software or want to supplement what you have, I recommend [url=https://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html]a FREE program called Malwarebytes[/url]. This program doesn't continuously scan your computer (you have to pay for the full version for that), but if you already have an antivirus software you may want to download this one to make sure all the viruses, trojans, and malware are completely off. I caught some trojans with Malwarebytes that others missed. It's highly recommended by the staff at CNET.com. I like it because it doesn't slow down my computer and catches things the other programs miss.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thanks! I only use Macs, but a friend of mine suddenly had her PC go haywire this morning. I hope it isn't this that caused the problem. I sent her the links you shared, just in case.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've been reading about the conficker worm for the past couple of days. Seems that PC's are not at too much risk. The firewalls are supposed to protect pretty well. The worm is targeting servers.

I don't know if it is just my machine or my internet service, but lots of sites seem to be loading very slowly today. I bet the security has been stepped way up, and perhaps they are only running with a partial completement of their servers. Hope tomorrow comes and goes with a whimper.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Is "con***ker" the real name of this worm??? :shock:

Um... :oops: this name is very similar to an obscenity/profanity in another language (not English, that is). Which, given how it's rumored to mess up machines, may be accurately descriptive.

My local IT guy (DH) says not to become too complacent about virus attacks on Macs...he regularly updates our anti-virus subscription.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Took your suggestion, Roger; however being the paranoid soul I am, will hopefully see you all on Thursday--off line and powered down tomorrow, just in case.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

cynthia_h wrote:Is "con***ker" the real name of this worm??? :shock:

Um... :oops: this name is very similar to an obscenity/profanity in another language (not English, that is). Which, given how it's rumored to mess up machines, may be accurately descriptive.

My local IT guy (DH) says not to become too complacent about virus attacks on Macs...he regularly updates our anti-virus subscription.
Oh, absolutely! I have good antivirus software, and I update the defs several times a week. There are a few Mac viruses out there, but the only thing that I ever got was a Trojan Horse. I couldn't get rid of it and had to have my tech friend remove it for me. He found it in my startup engine, and had to use special software to get rid of it. (He's a professional Mac technician, so he had the necessary software.)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah some somebody finally started writing malware for Mac; guess they didn't want anybody to feel left out...

Haven't seen any issues yet myself...(knocking on oak planks, cherry desk and an ash veneer just for good measure)

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”