The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Seafood is for Northeners, huh?

Ever had a Niantic Bay Scallop?

Now wrap it in bacon... 8)

Oh yeah...

but for the truly sick individuals (and I know most of you are here... :wink: )

[url]https://www.thehungryengineer.com/cooking/bacon-brownies/[/url]

I was just reading in Scientific American where their sick engineering guy built a blow torch out of prosciutto rolled and dried in tubes, with air forced through after you lit it. He cut through a metal pan with it! Best result was when he housed the bacon tubes in a cucmber housing (contained and focused heat, while providing a coolish handgrip...)

How cool is that guys job?

I try to not eat so much pork as it ain't great for me, and it isn't so good for the planet...

[url]https://www.organicgreenandnatural.com/tag/water-pollution/[/url]

Yea, I know, wet blanket, but we should know everything up front...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have made Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are a lot of recipes online, but I just used my regular Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and added about 1/2 cup of crumbled bacon. If you try this, be sure you use real bacon. Those fake bacon bits things won't be nearly as yummy. :)

I have also made Candied Bacon, which is delightful, and Chocolate Dipped Bacon. All are [img]https://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/tongue/rryumy.gif[/img]

:lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's official, Kisal is one of the TSI (truly sick individuals)... :lol:

As am I; I am the inventor of a camping staple (well for me anyway) called the bacon wrapped marshmellow, a culinary delight cooked on a stick over open fire (Don't leave me, bacon, marshmallows and a campfire unattended during breakfast; that'll teach DW :D )...Don't set it on fire or you have a torch that can burn metal... :wink:

HG

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

OK, you people are closely related to Denis Leary, right? :X (gross)

Sweet Petunia

I was thinking more along the lines of Andew Zimmern!!
:wink:

But whats REALLY scares me is...the cookies and marshmellows did actually sound kinda good!!
But I am PMSing!!

2cents
Green Thumb

Sweet P,

Why Hog Jowl on New Years? Is there a tradition? Are Razorbacks allowed to share that info with folks from the Midwest?

Johnny Cake.....Has many recipes. It was an early American settlers staple, they usually didn't have much for sugar in the mix. It has been changed into modern cornbread, which is a little sweeter.
Mix your cornbread just a little thin. Bacon grease an iron skillet, drop them like pancakes. That was the bacon grease, you can add butter on top at the table(try strawberry creamed butter, Mmm). That was mom's favorite.

Dad cooks the whole skillet full an inch thick, and puts in oven after a short frying(crispier edge). And serves like corn bread. Grandpa always wanted apple butter on top.

Surely, Andrew Zimmer has to do an early American episode. Not much for the insects, those settlers. So, Zimmer wouldn't be interested.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm an Anthony Bourdain guy, myself; Zimmer is bragging on eating wierd stuff while Tony has eaten antelope colon with Kalahari bushmen, and did durian fruit YEARS before Andy did it on his show (I can get it at my Asian grocery, but it ain't cheap, and I'm just not sure, y'know?). PLus Anthony rolls like I like to, in the backwoods with real country folk. Don't get me wrong Zimm does that sometimes too, but he is often just hitting good resturants and ordering something we might hesitate on, rather than getting the truly bizarre. Walk the walk, Zim. Represent New England! (He's a Mainiac, y'know?)

My favorite bacon moment of all times was a segment from the Grateful Dead, in like the late Eighties, where Jerry Garcia did a Julia Child imitation while making bacon wrapped water chesnuts. Priceless...Can't remember exactly where I saw it, but memories of Jerry are often hazy...

:cool:

HG

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Gnome wrote:If I had a smoker I think I would definitely give this a try. I might anyway.:shock:

https://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Norm
My mouth started watering just looking at the pics; maybe because I haven't had bacon in a really long time. :shock:

IndorBonsai

You know now that the weathers getting better and I got me a new BBQ that is looking pretty good :)
Only trouble is if I had that sitting on my BBQ wouldent be long till the whole neighbor hood was in my yard. Cant beat the smell of a good BBQ going on a sunny day :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”