Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's mid 90's. It's September 20. Accuweather says it will be in the 90s for the next 6 days. If they are right, Monday the 27th will be 89. I gotta move. Which state has the best individual health care plans? I'm having a yard and boat sale and leaving.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well Charlie, don't come to Louisiana. Last Monday and Tuesday we had a break in the weather with temps. in the mid 80's with relatively low humidity for us(under 80%.) That lasted just 2 days and it is hot and sticky with no end in sight just yet.

I was hoping for cooler weather and lower humidity by now. I have a new raised bed I am dying to plant with the good leafy stuff I love in the fall and winter but it is so hot I doubt the seeds will germinate just yet.

My wife and I have just one left at home that is in her second year of college. When she is finished, we're thinking of moving somewhere with milder summer temperatures and lower humidity. We've got 2-3 years to figure all that out.

vtown05

Still in the mid 90's during the day here in south Georgia.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's finally broken up here and we had one of those days we live for in CT; mid seventies, nice breeze, not a cloud all morning and several little ones just for interest in the afternoon...

Used to be we got a few months of this on either side of summer; now I relish whatever we get...

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

High /
Low (...°F) Precip. %
Tonight
Sep 20 Partly Cloudy 48° 20 %
Tue
Sep 21 Mostly Sunny 62°/45° 20 %
Wed
Sep 22 Sunny 63°/51° 0 %
Thu
Sep 23 Showers 60°/49° 50 %
Fri
Sep 24 Mostly Cloudy 63°/53° 20 %
Sat
Sep 25 Partly Cloudy 62°/52° 20 %
Sun
Sep 26 Showers 61°/52° 40 %
Mon
Sep 27 Showers 60°/50° 60 %
Tue
Sep 28 Showers 59°/49° 30 %
Wed
Sep 29 Showers 57°/47° 40 %
Last Updated Sep 20 09:06 p.m. PT

Looks like sun the next two days and then rain for a week :cry: We are are deffinitely in the rainy season.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Pretty much the same as what Eric said! ↑

Yep! It's that time of year again. We're supposed to have a little more sun than up in Eric's area, but not a whole lot. :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes we are at the start of the PNW rain season. 25% chance of rain means it will rain 25% of the time.

applestar
Mod

:lol: ... whereas, in my area, nobody takes "X% chance of rain" seriously until there's at least 70% chance... then MAYBE we'll get rain. :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Headed for the 100s! I'm so glad that summer is here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's 90* right now and I just came in a few minutes ago from doing some maintenance in the garden. Nothing like heat and humidity to start off the day wet.

I was going to pull my 30 okra plants that are still producing to make room for some fall stuff but it will likely be a couple of weeks before I can plant any seeds that will germinate due to the heat. I'll just let the okra live a bit longer and give it away.

I trimmed back my fig tree. It was branching real close to the ground and it makes mowing around the tree difficult. I cut it back last year and it grew like gangbusters and I had the best fig crop in many years.

I now have my raised bed ready for seeds once the weather cools a bit. I put topsoil in there and added a lot of composted material today and gave it a good mix. I now have 48 sq. ft. x 1 ft. deep for some root crops----carrots, beets, kohlrabi, turnips, here I come.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Finally Socal is getting a small break from the sun :) Overcast today with cooler temps in the 60s - mid 70s F. Yay!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

We're on day four or five of rain. My grass is already way too tall, now it's gonna be a real pain to cut.

The biggest problem with a new house, besides having no garden, is the 2-3 foot grass!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( Well my potatoes definately froze!!! :( Plus woke up to a light skiff of SNOW :cry: I guess our summer that wasn't is over!!!!! Not happy about this at all. Don't know if we are supposed to get more or not? But this was enough for me! The flowers and roses are up againgst the building, and are OK so far, but will be putting straw on them later today. It's sitting out there waiting for me! But snow? Maybe next place will be a motorhome and lots of potted plants, and veggies. Sure is starting to be a thought!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

We are getting our last blast of summer I think. It has been cooler but this week it is HOT and Humid.

Garden is still kicking so whatever.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had a spell of fall weather, but now are back up to 93 degrees, near record for the date. And the 10 day forecast still has no noticeable amounts of rain (one day "isolated T-storms" which usually miss me and one day "few showers"). It is looking like we will make it all the way through Sept with no measurable amount of rain.... That will make us about 9" behind for the season.

Even the Japanese honeysuckle shrubs are all drooped and wilted. When the invasive honeysuckle isn't making it, you know everything else is in trouble!

I'm getting really tired of standing around with the hose... Really need to work on the grey water system!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

RBG I hear ya on even the productive plants not growing this year.

I was noticing the Irisis? (big green blades and orange flowers) not even doing well this year. Last year I cut them back to the ground every month for a green mulch only to have them bounce back as strong or stronger. Year to date this year they haven't even gotten as big as they did in a month last year.

I had to cut them back last year they got out of control but this year they are dismal to say the least. :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

More record breaking temps, 93 today and ZERO rain.

Everything is dying.... :cry:

we need a better crying emoticon!

In the meantime, I'm going to go water more....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and mid-70s! A gorgeous day! :clap:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Out WATERING ... it's pretty windy out there. Usually wind around here means a front is coming through and rain will come. But this is a hot dry wind that reminds me of the SantaAna winds we had when I was a kid in SoCal, blowing off the desert. Just adding to the desiccation. We are actually having fire hazard and brush fires... NEVER happens around here (in normal times).

There's currently no rain in the forecast through Oct 3. I really hope Oct isn't going to be like Sept has been. ZERO rain in sept so far and none predicted.

It actually feels pretty pleasant out there ... clear and sunny and breezy. 90's don't feel bad with no humidity and a breeze. It's just hard to really appreciate it while I am pouring out water trying to save things. (While I write this, I have left the hose just running next to a small lilac and even smaller japanese maple).

applestar
Mod

I've been watering the Japanese Maples during this year's drought. One year during drought, I stubbornly refused to water and both our 6' tall -- oh, 8' diameter -- Japanese maples dropped all their leaves in early August. I was aghast, thinking I'd let these gorgeous and very expensive trees die. As it turned out, they sprouted new leaves and filled out during the fall rainy season -- usually starts late Sept through Oct. -- and bounced back during the Indian Summer to store sufficient reserves for the winter. Whew!

This year, I have been careful to water before least sign of stress appeared. Neighbors who have not been as diligent have crispy leaves on theirs.

We had real rain for the second time within a week two nights ago. Last real rain was last Thursday. Before that, nada for most of the summer -- just bare sprinkles.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

NEVER happens around here (in normal times
I believe this will be more and more normal.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
NEVER happens around here (in normal times
I believe this will be more and more normal.

Eric
unfortunate but true... hence the living lightly thread...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The plants not growing was SO eveident in beans around here; talked about this with a farmer the other day. Sure they produced, but not as much as a plant twice that size...

Eric seems to be correct; abnormality is the new normal. With global mean temperature .8 degrees above historic mean, we are already feeling the effects (mid eighties today with HIGH humidity; NOT normal for nearly October in CT). The real problem is that with a minimum of two more degrees of global mean increase assured (if we stopped anthropogenic CO2 tomorrow, the warmer temps release more CO2 on their own, meaning more greenhouse effect, thus higher temps), we can expect FAR worse than we arte currently seeing...

But as long as the disinformation campaigns continue, and as long as humans follow their time honored tradition of ignoring ecological damage until it collapses their civilization (for those interested in WTH I'm talking about please read [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse:_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed]Collapse by Jared Diamond[/url]), some will claim it isn't happening until we are roasting in December and frying in June. Wonder how we'll garden? (Or feed ourselves, or maintain rule of law, or survive...)

My cheery Friday post; enjoy...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sad but true HG.

I'm going to go kiss my kids and tell them I'm sorry. :(

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

we've been in the low 90s or high 80s. Night times are in the low sixties. I t is too hot for mid October. Gotta move. How are property values in New Hampshire? Coming fron South Carolina will we have to pass a literacy test or need passports?

vtown05

Southern Georgia, 77 and sunny. I'm loving this weather! Starting to get down to 50 at night though.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Sunny, and we hit a high of 48 C / 119 F today. My bananas are lovin' it, and I've never had a higher germination rate with my heirloom altitude crops (local squashes, zucchini, tomatoes, etc etc...) I can almost watch my tomatoes ripening.

vtown05

lorax wrote:Sunny, and we hit a high of 48 C / 119 F today. My bananas are lovin' it, and I've never had a higher germination rate with my heirloom altitude crops (local squashes, zucchini, tomatoes, etc etc...) I can almost watch my tomatoes ripening.
That's CRAZY hot!

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's a pretty normal summer temperature here for a sunny day, actually. It was worse when I lived downslope at the top of the Amazon basin - that routinely went up to 120-125 with 98% humidity. Talk about a good reason to jump in the river!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lorax,

You won't see me complaining about my hot 105 F next summer. I can't believe anyone would live in 119 F by choice. The only way I would do it is if I choose to commit a crime which causes me to go to jail in Arizona without air conditioning. I start getting uncomfortable at 85 F.

Just curious, what kind of tomatoes can you get to grow at 119 F? Want to trade some seeds?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

At 119, I grow 'Strawberry' (a fantastic ID heirloom grape-type), 'Pomodori' (a D Roma type), and I'm currently testing 'Golden Queen' , 'Pineapple' and 'Cherokee Purple'. I also grow Tree Tomato (Solanum betaceum), which is a native plant.

I'd love to trade if you've got sweet corn.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good Lorax, I am surprised you are trying Cherokee Purple. I planned on growing it next year but decided to plant Spudakee Purple instead. I didn't realize CP would do well in the high heat.

Would trade some sweet corn, but since I don't grow it; about all I can do is send you some canned corn. Do you prefer creamed corn or whole kernel? :roll:

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

I don't know if Cherokee Purple will do well in the heat or not, but it's trial by fire in my gardens. Especially for this round of tomatoes, which are for the summer season (which is consistently hotter than the wet season.) They're the weakest of the seedlings at the moment.

applestar
Mod

Be sure to plant Cherokee Purples in the front. The plant didn't grow very tall/long compared to the others -- only about half the vine length, and not very vigorous. Fruits were prone to cat facing and cracking, but perfect fruits were lovely and flavor superb. I'm also hoping to try Spudakee next year for better performance while keeping the flavor.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Let me know when you are ready applestar, I will send you a few spudakee purple seed.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Here is a list of some of the varieties which set blossoms and fruit well during the high heat. This is not my list, but I am growing the varieties in bold lettering and have seed for them if you want to try a few in Ecuador.

I don"t have the Gregori's Altai Tomato seed yet, but I plan on finding it and growing it as well.

Some tomatoes that set well in the heat this past summer were Big Beef, Gary O' Sena, Indian Stripe, Black Krim, Berkley Tie Dye Pink, Mule Team, Kosovo, Linnies Oxheart, Old Virginia, JD's Special C Tex, Stump of the World and Gregori's Altai Tomato.

Ted

applestar
Mod

tedln wrote:Let me know when you are ready applestar, I will send you a few spudakee purple seed.
Ooh! Thanks, Ted! :()

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've been wanting to try Black Krim for some time, but nobody I've talked to has had seed for it. I'd definitely trade Strawberry for it, if you like - they're the very best salad tomatoes I've ever eaten, and since they clone really well, I will never be without plants of them again.

The only thing I'll say is that fruit size was very variable on the Strawberry - everything from small roma-sized fruit, which wanted slicing for salads, to these lovely tiny sweet ones the size of my thumbnail. For me, this isn't an issue since I'm after the flavour and since the skins remained so thin.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Send me a pm with addresses and I will mail some seed to applestar and Lorax. I don't need anything in return. How much postage does it take to send a regular sized envelope to Ecuador?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

Between $1.75 and $2.00 depending on weight.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”