Wannabeegreen

Glorious sunshine cool gentle breeze and 30 degrees c or someplace in 80f me thinks.... We're my pinacolada gone.... :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Summer finally arrived here - yesterday was 35 C and sunny and it looks like we're in for a reapeat today. Finally!

Although when I woke up this morning the volcano was both erupting and had a fresh coat of snow, so one never knows.... :shock:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We usually take the canoe home in mid April and start using the inflatable kayak for swimming. We took the canoe home last weekend since it's been so warm. I inflated the kayak and hit the water yesterday but it was still a bit cold. We decided to just paddle the kayak. It's a really cheap boat that we just use to keep drunks from hitting us when we swim.

Paddling a cheap kayak leaves a lot to be desired. We kept smacking paddles and going in circles. It was embarrassing. I'll wait another week or so, grit my teeth and stay in the water.

70 degrees and partly cloudy today. We're on the back side of the low front today so winds are out of the north.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like we'll be getting a similar blip monday night, applestar, but it looks like it won't quite frost.

we've been frost-free for long enough that everything's either blooming or has already...avg last frost date is mid-april here, but I'm really crossing my fingers that we're out of it. so far so good. beginning of march, all the local apple growers were cursing the warm, but it looks like the long-expected cold snap may not come? the pessimist in me is confused.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

All good things must end. The ten-day forecast looks nasty come days 8-10. Roghly a week from now, at the beginning of April, we will finally be getting our March :cry: 74 yesterday!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Up on Mt. Hood we have been having some of the best snow, the last few weeks have been big powder dumps. Now I know lots of you do not like snow but I do; well up on the mountain any ways.
This is a short video of one of the small bowls I like to ski, it was taken with my helmet video cam. The video makes the run look much less steep than it is. So this is what I see when skiing.
Click on the photo and it should bring up the video.

I could put the cam on when I walk around the yard this summer.
:wink:
[URL=https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am going to do a test to see if I can embed the video here.

[url]https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/ski%20vids/?action=view&current=skip2.mp4[/url]

All I can do is put the link up. :cry:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That was wonderful, Tom! Thanks! :D

Our snow is all gone. It was pretty and sunny all day. Temps here are running in the mid 50s during the day and the 40s at night.

The mallard ducks have returned to my pond. They only stay a few days. I think they just stop by to rest on their migration. :)

The froggie is out there, too, ribbiting away. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:The odd blip in the forecast is getting even weirder!
Monday night's low continues to be 28°F but now they've added windchill factor at 19°F :eek:
So, how did things turn out for you, Applestar???

Steve
BTW - I enjoyed Tom's ski video. Tom, that was me shooting past you in the 'bucket there after you turned the camera off . . .

applestar
Mod

Thanks Steve, it didn't get as cold as they said it would.

I woke around 4AM, checked the temp and it was 31° as predicted, but when I reviewed the forecasts, realized It was too soon to be be relieved as they were still calling for 28 at 8AM (which to my lay-person thinking seemed odd since sun would have been up for an hour by then) but I jumped up to check the thermometer when I woke at 8am and it DID go down some more to 30° in my garden. Whew! Nowehere near the predicted 28° nor adjusted 25°.

Still, when I walked around and saw that the kale leaves had gone limp, I was worried that it had been freezing cold after all. But they bounced back. The peach and nectarine blossoms are still there so I don't know if they had suffered in any way (is there a way to tell?), and cherry buds were still closed. I don't see any flower buds on the apple trees yet though the cluster of leaves are starting to unfold.

The dwarf magnolia which had been in full bloom and is out in the open front yard has not lost any petals either and is looking gorgeous even today. In fact, I think this is the first time I'm enjoying it in bloom this long because usually there is an extended heat wave soon after it flowers accompanied by a wind storm.

brogz

Up here in Calumet Michigan we got a bunch of snow over night. It's about 28 out and still snowing so much for the 80s we had a few weeks ago

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Flood warnings and high-wind warnings. The street in front of my house is already running curb deep along the sides. The dog run is a couple inches deep in places. I don't even want to look at my back yard. The water is probably 6" deep out there. :(

All the downed trees still haven't been cleared away since the last storm, and now there will likely be more. Especially with the saturated soil. Doug firs have shallow root systems and when the ground is soaked like it is now, it doesn't really take much wind to bring 'em down.

Yep, it's pretty much a mess out there. :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It rained harder than a cow peeing on a flat rock!
It rained on Mt. Hood in the morning but then dumped snow and will dump snow all week end. Monday I will be there, oh boy wow. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There's over 200 inches of snow in the higher elevations of . . .

. Schweitzer Mountain this morning, Tom.

Over 360 inches have fallen there, this season. . .

Steve

lorax
Greener Thumb

Sunny and windy here. In still areas it's 30 C, and in the wind about 25 C.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Tons of rain for the past 2 days that start late in the night. It started last night around 10 p.m. and has continued pretty much non-stop since then. Once again I can hold pirogue races between my rows.

After it is done, I'll have to break out the big ladder to clean out the gutters----again. It seems the screens I put at the start of the downspouts are working fine keeping the leaves out the downspouts but the screen is allowing leaves and debris to clog the start of the outlet. Win some, lose some.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

digitS' you got a lot of snow there; we have 170+ at the base of Meadows. I will be there tomorrow. I will be doing yard work and transplanting this week end.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sigh... having had July weather in early March, we are now having March weather in early April.. the next two or three nights it is going down very close to freezing (34- 35). I have hundreds (yes literally) of seedlings waiting to get planted, some of which are going to have to come back in for awhile. I don't even know where I will put them. All the space under the lights is full.

This part of spring always drives me crazy! Even more so this year because it got so hot so fast.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's 18 degrees outside right now. I am sooo glad I didn't plant my one huge pepper plant last week! Even with heat tape, I doubt it would have survived this :shock:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We are probably home free now, as the ten day forecast shows very settled weather with lows in the upper 50's next week. Good thing as we have many tomatoes, cucumber plants, squash, corn, etc. up and growing. Our frost free date is generally considered to be around April 20th, so the prospect for a late frost is becoming very slim now.

BTW, we harvested our first ripe tomato a couple of days ago. That is the earliest ever. However, these particular vines were the earliest starts ever, as were started in mid December and have been outside in the sunshine all but a few days since mid January.

Egg plants are blooming. Cucumbers and squash should just be a couple of weeks behind them.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Way too much rain lately. It has been raining since last night, off and on, mostly on. Once again my garden is fit for racing boats between the rows. Luckily, my soil absorbs fairly well and once the rain stops, it takes about an hour and it all sinks in the ground. However, there is a limit to how much it will take before becoming completely saturated.

My new neighbor, a veterinarian, has a pet tortoise roaming her yard and it is loving this wet stuff. That thing has to be close to 50 lbs and about 24 inches long by 18 inches wide.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Incredible! We have highs of 80 today and tomorrow; I kid you not. Back to a high of 55 on Saturday, but we may set a record today!

applestar
Mod

Deploy/batten down the buckets! Bring out the row covers! Forecast is 39º (feels like 32º according to TWC) overnight and I have first string tomatoes already planted and rest of the team ALL outside, big citruses and some avocados in containers, even peppers and okra out in the shelf unit green house! It's already 47º out there (feels like 42ºF according to TWC).

Everybody that could fit were put in the shelf unit, zipped tight and double-covered with shade cover and blackout cover which got the tomato seedlings through frost and hopefully will be enough for the peppers and okra.

Big plants were gathered up under a temporary frame and somewhat loosely covered with a garden blanket and an old nylon shower curtain.

Some planted tomatoes were individually covered with 5 gal buckets and storage tubs, and the one row next to the crucifer row was able to "share" the insect screen row cover and then covered with a tattered and full of holes lightest floating cover (SO glad I kept it thinking I could use it for "something"! :D

Low 60's/Low 40's for the rest of the week with another extra cold one next Monday. One or two nights no problem, but extended cold for a whole week -- especially with low daytime temp -- is not going to be good for any of them :x

p.s. It went down to 46º while I was writing this....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's beautiful here! Mid 60s, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Oh, such a lovely day! :)

jpr54_
Cool Member

the today has been cooler here-
in am 60 degrees in afternoon in '70's
my container herbs r doing well

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hopefully last night will be our last close call for the season, down to 38 degrees and patchy frost. Our five foot tomato bushes did just fine, but we let the sprinklers run over night just to be on the safe side. Night time lows should be in the mid 40's to 60's over the next ten days, so we are now past any likely threat of late frost.

applestar
Mod

Forecast of 36° and frost advisory early tomorrow morning so possibly down to 33 or 34° in my garden. Just came in from putting anything that fits in the shelving unit green house and double-covering it, as well as covering my other container plants that already went to "vacation" outside, tubs and buckets over first string tomatoes that are planted in the ground, as well as a row cover for the wide row of Sweet Charley strawberries that are already loaded with hard green 1" berries.

Whew! :shock:

applestar
Mod

31.something°F this morning! :shock:

I went out and looked around. N-NE side of the house, everything was frosted over, and the buckets of water I'd put on top of the tomatoes' tubs and buckets in case of wind, at 20" above ground, had solid 1/8" thick ice on top. Virginiana wild strawberries were completely covered in frost even though they are growing in a raised mound island bed.

Talk about micro-climate -- S-SW side of the house, bird baths were unfrozen even ones on the ground, and there was practically no frost. Just a touch in a couple of very exposed areas.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

no lows below 55 for the next week and a half. maybe no more frost?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Beautiful and sunny. Shirt sleeve weather. :)

manofthetrees

80's in march ,finally quit freezing overnight last week.we had a very dry april but it has rained for 3 days and when I got home from work today I had an inch of standing water in my backyard .cant wait till june, getting snow wouldnt surprize me this year

jpr54_
Cool Member

thunder, lightning, pouring rain mid 80's

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It couldn't be more beautiful! It's in the upper 60s, lovely sun, not a cloud to be seen. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

75 and sunny on its way up to 85 and hot and sunny. Rain barrels have been emptied. We've actually had lots of rain, but it's been coming in huge storms. The rain barrel fills up in like the first five minutes and all the rest is wasted...

Ordinarily the rain barrels wouldn't run dry until July. In spring before I have used up 150 gallons of rain water, it would usually rain again.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Rain and cool, the grass will be up to my --- by the time it stops.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

93 on Sat, 95 on Sun. That 95 is 14 degrees above the normal high for the date and 4 degrees above the previous record.

Hot, hot, hot and sunny and no rain in the 10 day forecast and the rain barrels are already empty. May be a tough summer to garden in at this rate...

Let's see we had HOT Feb and March, cool April, HOT May ....

applestar
Mod

:shock: UNBELIEVABLE :shock:
46°F
At dawn this morning.....

Are all my containers including ones I waited until the night time temps were above 60°F outside? Yes they are. :roll:

jpr54_
Cool Member

HOT_HUMID-
uncomfortable

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Not very pleasant . . .

There were sustained winds above 20mph overnight with rain. The high temperature yesterday afternoon did not make it to 50°F!

Yesterday's rainstorm out of California moved over the Rockies into Montana and is now coming back down on the west side of the mountains from the north! Hopefully, it will push back over the mountains again today but after that happens, tomorrow morning's temperature may fall back into the 30's.

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Mostly sunny but we will be back to rain tomorrow. This time of year we have the biggest festival in Oregon called the Rose Festival. There are parades, flower events, a big fun center and navy ships among other activities. It almost always rains during the Rose Festival. In most years as soon as it is over the weather changes and the rain slows to a stop, you would think they would get smart and change the date of the festival.
Reporting from the Oregon Mud Festival. :roll:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”