tedln
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:We went from cold to warm and raining. On Mt. Hood it went from under 10 deg's to 38 deg's and started raining. I have not skied in over a week! :? :(
and I haven't done anything in my garden in over a week. I didn't want to sweep the snow away in order to see the dirt.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:
tomf wrote:We went from cold to warm and raining. On Mt. Hood it went from under 10 deg's to 38 deg's and started raining. I have not skied in over a week! :? :(
and I haven't done anything in my garden in over a week. I didn't want to sweep the snow away in order to see the dirt.

Ted
I will not be planting right now but I have some trees that fell over to cut down. I went for a short walk to inventory storm damage. I also have a very large dug fir to come down as it is dyeing. It must be 150' tall and a few feet or more thick. I hate losing such nice trees and it is to big to leave up for the wild life.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My backyard is beginning to resemble a lake. :roll:

Not too bad yet, only about 3" deep, which means there are still some "islands". The water has to be 6" to 8" deep to completely cover the ground. :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal I am at 1200 feet so the water has to get very deep to flood me. :lol:

It sure has been raining hard. Is the Oregon city falls still falls or are they rapids? One year the 30 foot falls were gone and the rivers to the south and north closed the highways and slides closed them to the east and west so there was not too many ways in or out of Portland.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:Kisal I am at 1200 feet so the water has to get very deep to flood me. :lol:
Well, I'm at ~ 200 or 250 ft. ... but so is the Willamette. Fortunately, it's 3 or 4 miles away from me. :lol:
It sure has been raining hard. Is the Oregon city falls still falls or are they rapids? One year the 30 foot falls were gone and the rivers to the south and north closed the highways and slides closed them to the east and west so there was not too many ways in or out of Portland.
There are some roads blocked by slides. I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but one is by Sweet Home ... Hwy 20, maybe? And I always worry that Hwy 1 will slide into the ocean again, like it did a few years ago. :roll:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The rivers coming off of Mt. Hood are flowing real good with all the snow melt. :cry:

You must be near Salem to be that high.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm at ~ 200 or 250 ft
Do you get nose bleeds? :P

We are roughly 50ft. With climate change, I may have waterfront property. 8)

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here's the river about a mile from my house! You can see it's only a few feet from the bike path. Today was pretty and sunny, though, so unless we get an unusually high amount of rain this coming week, the river should start to go down somewhat.

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dtcommonstreamsStreamServercls.jpg[/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The sandy is washing away some houses and the road is gone in Lolo Pass.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's rainy and cold. We've made a horrible mistake. First, we never watch cliffhanger serial shows like Lost. We like our TV shows to end each week because we rarely see the next episode. We're Law and Order geezers. They end each episode.

We now have Netflix. We took a chance and started watching Lost. What a mess. It is crack. We are hopelessly hooked and have forsaken all else in our lives. We forget to eat, we stay up way too late and we're going to be in serious trouble when the rain stops.

Our Christmas lights are still up. Dishes are piling up and we need to go to the grocery store. If you haven't seen Lost and now see all six seasons up on the streaming Netflix menu, RUN. Run as fast and hard as you can.

We will need to seek treatment when we finish the last season. Whatever you do, don't watch it and stay out of the woods.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

LMFAO

Thanks for the warning! That's up on my Recommendations on Netflix, and I've been a bit tempted! :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I will also say this. If you have any preconceived notions as to what the show is about, you are wrong.

Ha Ha Ahaha. Hahahahahaha,,AAAAAAhahahaha aha aha aha aha aaaaashahahaha.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:The sandy is washing away some houses and the road is gone in Lolo Pass.
:shock: I read about that! Bad news! :shock:

Halfway
Green Thumb

Gonna be minus 30 this Friday/Saturday here in Iowa. Uggggly.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

The wife and I left home this morning in fog and cold mist. We drove about 250 miles south to San Marcos, Texas to spend a few days sampling the Bar-B-Que restaurants around a little town named Lockhart. It calls itself the Bar-B-Que capital of Texas. When we got to San Marcus, the sun was out, the temp is about 65 degrees and it is beautiful. We are planning on getting home Thursday afternoon just as an Arctic front arrives. Oh well, spring is on it's way.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Cuz, whatever you do, don't get Lost. Wife went to cook. I'm just sitting here with the TV on pause...twitching.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ted that sounds tasty!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Hey, Ted, we have sunshine here in Central Texas! We have suffered through four straight days of overcast, chilly, damp weather (okay you folks up north, don't sneer--this is tough stuff for us!) and now I can go outside and finish cutting back the perennials and enjoy some sunshine! The chickens seem happier, too, but it's hard to tell with a chicken since their smiles look a lot like their frowns.
I guess San Marcos can be called "Central Texas" also. I walked up to the lobby of the hotel earlier and it is a beautiful morning. We have had ony one sunny, pretty day at home in the last three weeks. It just happened to be the day I was resolved to get my onions in the ground irregardless of the weather. It worked out great.

When your chickens smile, do they have teeth like my dogs in my avatar? You know, hillbilly teeth?

Oh well, more Bar-B-Que to sample today and life is short. Guess we will hit the road soon.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Still way to warm. It has been in the 40's and 50's. It is 39 at midnight at the ski resort. :cry: Three weeks rain and warm, this stinks!
One thing some of you may not know is that out west the snow pack has been our water supply. Much of us get water that is held on the mountains and as it melts in the summer it fills the reservoirs. If we do not get a good snow fall we have a water shortage in the summer.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

With the crazy snowfall many areas, including Atlanta; have experienced this year, has yours been below average?

Ted

applestar
Mod

:shock: 3ºF this morning !!! :shock:

Currently 17ºF oh, it just jumped up to 20ºF....

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We have just almost, melted all of our snow, I see a bit in shady areas here and there.
We have had 2 snowfalls so far, one you could still see through, so less than an inch. And this one, must have been a good 2". We have been having 5 degrees at night. It is currently 30 at almost noon.

Normal for us is only 2-3, maybe 4 snowfalls. We get more rainy days than snowy days in winter.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and mid to upper 50s! :clap:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ted we were doing fine but now we are down to 6 feet of snow on the ski area I go to.
With all the snow melt and rain it would be one wild white water rafting ride! :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Like Kisal, we are about 50 and scheduled for mid 50s.

I'm not liking it. Keeping a eye on my peach and apricot trees. If anything like last year, they will open early and get bit by frost. :twisted:

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Probably 65 F. right now and very sunny. I would love to plant my garden, but it gets down in the mid 20's at night. Guess I will just have to be patient. I love the cold nights. We turn the heater off and pile on the blankets. We wake up with the house in the low 50's. Great sleeping.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

If you were watching Lost this would be down right trippy.

https://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/24/2032269/yes-that-is-a-piano.html

applestar
Mod

:lol: Charlie wasn't kidding! He's STILL talking about Lost... :>
Maybe we should send them a care package. :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

[img]https://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif[/img]

And I've been taking his advice and avoiding that show! :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I have 11 more episodes in the sixth and final season. We should finish tomorrow and then I'm going to shoot the TV. I'll never fly again. I will keep the engines on my boat in perfect shape and my gas tanks full as long as I live. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Wellllll, Charlie ....

Here I sit, about three-quarters of the way through the pilot for Lost. :roll:

They just now found the cockpit of the plane. I'm hooked. [img]https://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/sigh.gif[/img]

LMFAO

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's gonna be a bumpy ride Kisal. Prepare to forsake everything for a while.

applestar
Mod

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll start preparing YOUR care package, Kisal ! LMFAO

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm afraid I just may need one, AS! :lol:

I didn't get to bed until after 2 a.m., and I have to be somewhat alert for a meeting in another hour or so. Where's that coffee cup I just had? *yawn*

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The mountain was farting big smell farts today! We were up high skiing on Mt. Hood and there is a vent near the Hogs Back that some times vents sulfa.
That is the thing about living with volcanos. :oops:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hmmm ... I wasn't aware that Hood had active fumeroles. That's interesting! Are there just a few random holes that vent, or is it a fume vent field? Are they venting sulfur dioxide? Do they produce enough volume of toxic gases to present a danger to those near the area?

Please be careful skiing around there! I've read of skiers falling into snow-covered vents, dying from the fumes. :(

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

50 degrees, rainy and only two more episodes of Lost. I know almost everything now. I need a shower and a shave.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I need a shower and a shave.
and Tom thought it was fumaroles.

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I know the secret. I took a shower. Tomorrow we go off the Fruit Loop diet. Cereal and milk have been pretty much it for 3 weeks.

Kisal, It's worth it. Best TV show ending EVER. I would have had to use drugs to watch that show for six years. Every commercial, every show and every season was a cliff hanger. On Netflix, you just move on. I honestly don't know how the show could have been fun for 6 years with commercials but without them, it was great.

I'm completely happy. Now I have to get back to my life.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm about to go curl up in bed with my laptop for my nightly fix of LOST! :lol:

Had to attend to business today ... made all the arrangements for when I die, so my son doesn't have to deal with it. Everything should go very smoothly, without any hassles for him. :)

Tomorrow, I absolutely must get started on my taxes. And sooner rather than later, I'm going have to sweep up the dog hair off the floor, or people will start to think I carpeted my kitchen in black. Every time I look at Angus, I'm surprised to see that he has a nice thick coat of hair. Considering how much of his hair I sweep off the floor and wipe off all the surfaces in my home every couple of days, you'd expect the poor dog would be totally bald! That dog may not do much right, but he sure knows how to grow hair! LMFAO

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”