gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Would that be Pig manure. 8)

Know don't go flaming me. A good friend of mine is a retired Police Captain.

Eric
I've also got some friends that are retired and still active on the NOPD. One of the retired guys was, at one time, a motorcycle patrolman. One of his duties was to park his bike on Poydras Ave. by the Superdome and direct traffic for people leaving the game. One evening he decided to don a pig head mask to do this. His Commander was not amused and took him off the street for about a month before letting him back on the M/C patrol. We still laugh at that one.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Snowed at my house.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Got to love the gov. Playing with there weather machine....
Bring it on.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I am not going to tell anyone how the weather is where I am. I don't want to jinx it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

pow wow

It's -5 celsius right now. We had some snow last night. Should get up to +10 celsius today.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

83 degrees, clear. Canoe comes home this weekend and the kayak will replace it. We use the canoe in the winter because it's not quite as "wet" as the kayak but winter is done here. We'll be swimming in the next few weeks if this keeps up. Surface water heats up quickly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeezo peet! I just looked at the weather forecast. We broke heat record for the date today, may again tomorrow. Then Tues and Wed are forecast for 85 degrees! That is five degrees ABOVE the record for those dates. All my cold weather crops in the ground are going to just fry! That's like July weather in March.

applestar
Mod

I got some color inmy cheeks yesterday from the sun, and the thermally operated attack (bwahahaha! I didn't notice this autocorrect -- attic is what I meant) fan kicked on it got so hot. I was thinking the weather is feeling like the 4 day heat wave we normally get at the end of April.

Maybe Mother Nature got confused when she switched to Daylight Saving Time and instead of "Springing ahead" one hour, ended up "Springing ahead" by one month! :kidding:
Last edited by applestar on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When you have a heat wave in summer, everyone suffers. When you have a heat wave in early spring (technically it is still WINTER! ), it can feel pretty good. But it is still a heat wave.

Dr Jeff Masters of Weather Underground says:

The ongoing March heat wave in the Midwest is one of the most extreme heat events in U.S. history. With so many records being shattered, it is difficult to cover in detail just how widespread, long-lasting, and extreme the event is
https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I don't think I know what 5 or 7 inches of rain all at once is like. ... Hope you don't have too many seeds in the ground, I guess they would get washed away. I can just see all the little bass going "Freedom!" :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is 32°F, the wind is gusting to 30mph and there is fresh snow covering everything!

This is the same story as last year at this time . . . there was record slow Spring warming.

The heat in the center of the continent pulls cool air into the Northwest. The last storm just slipped over the Rockies and headed almost due north as it smacked into that warm, high pressure balloon over the MidWest. Cities in Alaska are still having sub-zero weather . . .

Ah well, it is now really the 3rd year for this sort of thing here. I may as well get used to it.

Steve
[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/eyeore.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Going to be slightly overcast, mid 70's, very high winds, no rain. I had to water the garden this morning after thinning out some damaged chard. It seems slugs and a type of cut worm want to take over since it has warmed up to the mid 80's these past few weeks. I hope this is not a precursor as to what I should expect this summer with pests.

The wind is blowing so hard I had a hard time watering my garden with a nozzle set on a fairly straight stream trying to reach 2 rows over. Matter of fact, the wind is making a howling sound in the power, cable and telephone wires on the poles outside my front door.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener, are the big lakes in your area approaching full pond?

I can't remember a scarier thing than the drought that happened in the early 2000s in our area. It was a helpless feeling. When it finally broke, it did so in a way that sounds like what's happening in your neck of the woods. We experienced a summer with about 4 rain free weekends. I dug up every song that had rain in the title or that had a rain topic and it's surprising just how many there are. I think I played "Who'll Stop the Rain" about a thousand times that summer. Didn't work.

I have extra life jackets if you need them. There's plenty of room on the boat if it comes to that. It's flood proof.

applestar
Mod

Be sure to check around the pond after the water recedes and chuck those stray baselings back in the water! :D. ...otherwise, the cats will have a feast! :lol:

jpr54_
Cool Member

It's been beautiful here in Broward County. Today in '80s
Hope the weather is beautiful up North for my 3 wk vacation in Jersey

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It snowed at my house today and up on Mt. Hood we will get about 2' or more by the end of the week. I think we will have 160" on the ground up there.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rain coming down hard, alternating with snow. Not our usual Oregon mist. About 40º for the high. A typical spring day.

Next month, we should start having some thunder with the rain. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just let the dogs out, and it's snowing pretty heavily! Even sticking to the ground here on the valley floor. I expect it will disappear by the time I get up tomorrow, because it'll probably turn to rain shortly after dawn. For now, it's quite pretty, though. It looked like about 1/2 to 1 inch had accumulated. :D

From the article I read in the paper yesterday, this cold front is expected to extend into northern CA, and then move into the Midwest. I don't know if it will do that, of course. It's just what was predicted.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably in truncated form. We aren't predicted to get any actual cold or snow, but we do have a cold front coming that will bring us back to normal temperatures after a week or so of 30 degrees above normal.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Well, it's after 1 p.m. and we still have about 5 inches of snow on the ground. We're supposed to get another 3 to 5 inches tonight, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Now, I gotta go get some food out for the birds and squirrels. :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Snow up here, the roads are plowed. Went skiing today and they had over 2 feet of fresh snow and it snowed 7 inches more when I was there. From all the snow we have been having there was an avalanche on hyw 26 that closed the hyw and buried some cars. We had to go around the back side of Mt. Hood and around then back up to where I live to get home; it was a long ride home today.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow hard to imagine all that snow, avalanches, skiing. We haven't gotten the cool down yet. Still running record temps in the 80's, summer weather. We have turned the furnace off, opened the house up, and ran the attic fan last night. Never did that in Mar before!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

We have a front sitting over us for the past 24 hours dumping steady, and sometimes torrential rainfall.

It did alert me that my gutters near the downspouts do need some cleaning. Many years ago I took 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh and made caps to fit into the downspouts to prevent leaves from entering the spouts and clogging them. They do work, and now I seem to have enough leaves trapped in the gutters to prevent proper drainage. I knew I should have done this a week ago. :roll: :roll:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Can you imagine how the people buried in their cars from the avalanche must have felt? I think scared to all H!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

More snow at my home last night. I will be skiing Friday, today I have to chainsaw the trees that fell down across our road. :cry: :roll:

applestar
Mod

Is this a mistake? :shock:
Forecasted low for Monday night is 28°F which means it could get as low as 25° in my garden. :eek: Today is high is supposed to be 75°F. :?

My peach and nectarine trees are in full flower. I could cover the super dwarf nectarine but not the peach, though I could maybe toss a floating cover over it -- but that may result in bud damage if there are strong winds....

tomf
Super Green Thumb

In our yard.
Flowers and an old plow in the snow.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/Our%20Eagle%20Creek%20park%20like%20yard/DSCN0279.jpg[/img]

Sun art from a hay wheel in the snow.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/Our%20Eagle%20Creek%20park%20like%20yard/DSCN0280.jpg[/img]

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Things look a lot like that around here this morning, Tom.

There are no daffodils blooming and I don't have such decorative yard art, tho' :) . Just a blanket of snow that covers everything!

We have a promise of sunshine this afternoon. I am hoping so! This south window has done real well for the seedlings so far but they are almost banging on the glass wanting a little more light.

Steve :roll:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Watch out, Easterners! Last time we got a warm spell, with highs in the upper 60's, you got it about four days later, plus ten or fifteen degrees. Well, tomorrow our high out here is forecast to be a record-breaking (by 8 degrees) 79! Unheard of :shock:

applestar
Mod

The odd blip in the forecast is getting even weirder!
Monday night's low continues to be 28°F but now they've added windchill factor at 19°F :eek:

Wannabeegreen

Glorious sunshine cool gentle breeze and 30 degrees c or someplace in 80f me thinks.... We're my pinacolada gone.... :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Summer finally arrived here - yesterday was 35 C and sunny and it looks like we're in for a reapeat today. Finally!

Although when I woke up this morning the volcano was both erupting and had a fresh coat of snow, so one never knows.... :shock:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We usually take the canoe home in mid April and start using the inflatable kayak for swimming. We took the canoe home last weekend since it's been so warm. I inflated the kayak and hit the water yesterday but it was still a bit cold. We decided to just paddle the kayak. It's a really cheap boat that we just use to keep drunks from hitting us when we swim.

Paddling a cheap kayak leaves a lot to be desired. We kept smacking paddles and going in circles. It was embarrassing. I'll wait another week or so, grit my teeth and stay in the water.

70 degrees and partly cloudy today. We're on the back side of the low front today so winds are out of the north.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like we'll be getting a similar blip monday night, applestar, but it looks like it won't quite frost.

we've been frost-free for long enough that everything's either blooming or has already...avg last frost date is mid-april here, but I'm really crossing my fingers that we're out of it. so far so good. beginning of march, all the local apple growers were cursing the warm, but it looks like the long-expected cold snap may not come? the pessimist in me is confused.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

All good things must end. The ten-day forecast looks nasty come days 8-10. Roghly a week from now, at the beginning of April, we will finally be getting our March :cry: 74 yesterday!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Up on Mt. Hood we have been having some of the best snow, the last few weeks have been big powder dumps. Now I know lots of you do not like snow but I do; well up on the mountain any ways.
This is a short video of one of the small bowls I like to ski, it was taken with my helmet video cam. The video makes the run look much less steep than it is. So this is what I see when skiing.
Click on the photo and it should bring up the video.

I could put the cam on when I walk around the yard this summer.
:wink:
[URL=https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am going to do a test to see if I can embed the video here.

[url]https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/ski%20vids/?action=view&current=skip2.mp4[/url]

All I can do is put the link up. :cry:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That was wonderful, Tom! Thanks! :D

Our snow is all gone. It was pretty and sunny all day. Temps here are running in the mid 50s during the day and the 40s at night.

The mallard ducks have returned to my pond. They only stay a few days. I think they just stop by to rest on their migration. :)

The froggie is out there, too, ribbiting away. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:The odd blip in the forecast is getting even weirder!
Monday night's low continues to be 28°F but now they've added windchill factor at 19°F :eek:
So, how did things turn out for you, Applestar???

Steve
BTW - I enjoyed Tom's ski video. Tom, that was me shooting past you in the 'bucket there after you turned the camera off . . .

applestar
Mod

Thanks Steve, it didn't get as cold as they said it would.

I woke around 4AM, checked the temp and it was 31° as predicted, but when I reviewed the forecasts, realized It was too soon to be be relieved as they were still calling for 28 at 8AM (which to my lay-person thinking seemed odd since sun would have been up for an hour by then) but I jumped up to check the thermometer when I woke at 8am and it DID go down some more to 30° in my garden. Whew! Nowehere near the predicted 28° nor adjusted 25°.

Still, when I walked around and saw that the kale leaves had gone limp, I was worried that it had been freezing cold after all. But they bounced back. The peach and nectarine blossoms are still there so I don't know if they had suffered in any way (is there a way to tell?), and cherry buds were still closed. I don't see any flower buds on the apple trees yet though the cluster of leaves are starting to unfold.

The dwarf magnolia which had been in full bloom and is out in the open front yard has not lost any petals either and is looking gorgeous even today. In fact, I think this is the first time I'm enjoying it in bloom this long because usually there is an extended heat wave soon after it flowers accompanied by a wind storm.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”