Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Tedin, I've heard that lake story before. It's been a long time since I thought of it, though. I remember it as being carbon dioxide that developed on the bed of the lake and erupted during the night, killing an entire village. I guess it's happened more than once. Makes one wonder about something like that happening at Crater Lake! :shock:

Unless your son gets an overwhelming desire to climb a mountain, I doubt he'll be going too far up on Hood. Even if he did decide to climb, people would undoubtedly steer him toward one of the tamer peaks. My friend and his son were both very experienced mountaineers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone during the spring, because Hood is VERY dangerous at that time of year. It's impossible to predict what the mountain will do at any given time.

I was never what one would call a mountain climber, just did a lot of hiking. I don't like being out on the glaciers. I turn into a very delicate hothouse flower -- a total wuss -- at the first mention that there might be the possibility I could fall into a crevasse. :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Kisal,

Your memory is better than mine. You are right, it was CO2 that vented from the volcano and killed the villagers.

Now I am not sure that it was a vent from the volcano that caused it or if it was gas from organic decomposition at the bottom of the lake. If it was organic decomposition, it should have been hydrogen sulfide like "swamp gas".

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

We're supposed to have a little rain Saturday and Sunday, and then 5 beautiful sunny days, with temps in the mid 50s. I'm lovin' it! Makes me want to dig in the dirt, so I might just do a bit of that. :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Rain slid away yesterday. The wind was whipping so hard we actually radioed for a dock hand to catch a line when we came in. That's a first. Today it's supposed to hit 58, very bright sunshine. We're supposed to hit 67 by Wednesday so we'll spend a few days on the shredder/chipper. Mount Compost is bigger than ever.

We considered either cutting way back or not planting the vegetable garden this year but our memories are like that of squirrels. We've forgotten the near death experiences of last summer's heat already and we're sharpening the tines on the tiller.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Looks like Tomf is gonna get to do some more skiing! :lol:

Rain, winds with gusts up to 50 mph, and snow down to the 1000 ft. level are predicted for this week.

Where I live, it'll just be rain and wind, with high temps in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s. For the last couple of weeks, we've had lovely sunny days, and on a couple of days, the high temps almost reached 60º.

Spring is almost here! Just a little over a month away! :D :clap: :-()

tedln
Super Green Thumb

This week, lows below 10 degrees, highs in the 20's. Next week, lows in the 40's, highs in the 70's. What a difference a week makes.

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Whoa! The wind is here, and man, is it blowing out there! :shock:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hang on to something Kisal. I don't want to read tomorrows headline saying "Kisal was Gone With The Wind".

:shock:

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

LMFAO

Not too likely! :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The wind woke me up last night. Kisal it looks like a powder week! :D
I will be able to pull out my fat skis. I work nights so I can ski when ever I want, I'll sleep in the spring.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's snowing! Huge, fat, fluffy flakes ... and lots of them! It's even collecting on the ground! :shock:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

75 degrees today, big mean moon tonight. Here's how I plan to spend tomorrow.

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/363.jpg[/img][/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Almost eighty degrees today. Spending my days like cuz Charlie cept no boat. Give us picture of the boat cuz.

Ted

applestar
Mod

Can't sleep... Listening to the wind ROARING outside and feeling the house shudder.... Forecast said gusts up to 60 mph :shock:

Full moon tonight. :hehe: nutz:

...Mary Poppins, with her parrot handled umbrella and bottomless carpet bag, or Mrs. Whatsit (Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle), wrapped in scarves and wearing water-filled galoshes, might come blowing by.... 8)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

tedln wrote:Almost eighty degrees today. Spending my days like cuz Charlie cept no boat. Give us picture of the boat cuz.

Ted
Here ya go cuz....

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/Charleston/054-1.jpg[/img][/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I posted this here as Charlie and the other TV buffs have been talking about their favorite shows.
My wife’s 91-year-old dad lives with us and his big entertainment is the television. I had the satellite company hook up his TV in his bedroom but he loves the big screen. I hate to take it away and most of the time he is in the middle of a movie, even if he is sleeping his way through it. So I do not get much TV time. I decided to get a DVR put in my bedroom and went TV shopping with my wife. I was looking at a 32â€

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:Oh we are getting lots of snow in the mountains and we are supposed to even get some down low. I am off skiing today, woopee!
Yep! Snow on the beach, they're sayin'. Supposed to last through Friday. On Saturday, the sun will be back, and next week, the rain, when life will return to normal. ;)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Tom, my 50" plasma is 2 years old . The picture is magnificent.

I think it will be a while before we can justify 3D. Are all shows in 3D or is it just a few?

If not are the regular 1080P 2D pictures any better? We waited for years until the prices fell to buy a big TV. Like you, I learned to take my wife along to shop because she actually picked out a bigger better TV than I would have. We have a 32 on the boat but the room is so small it looks like a theater.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal When I left my house for work tonight it was snowing like crazy.
Today the skiing was epic! Face shots all day!

Charlie I am told that the Plamas have goteng better and more efficent as well. I do not know what yours is like but this one has a very good picture about as good as they get. There are not that many 3D movies out yet but we will see more as time goes on.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I guess we aren't gonna get the 4 to 8 inches they've been predicting. Apparently, the system dumped the majority of its moisture on you guys up north. :lol:

There was a heavy dusting on the ground when I woke up this morning, and it snowed for about another hour after that. I guess there was an accumulation of an inch or two. Now, it's melting fast. So, even if we get some more snow later today and over night, I doubt we'll see much more than we did this morning ... which suits me just fine.

It's pretty to see it falling and to see everything covered in that pristine white blanket, but if I wanted snow on the ground, I'd just go back to Illinois! ;)

Canadian Farmer Guy

Yeah, we got a whole bunch of snow today.
Man I miss the sun.

Canadian winter seems longer now that I'm into gardening.

Oh well... another month or so.

CFG

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

We didn't get anymore snow overnight. Today was bright and sunny, but nasty cold. I think it hasn't gotten above 32º all day. Supposed to get down into the teens tonight. Brrrrrrr! :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We worked our butts off on the boat today. In preparation for a new HVAC system, we removed 2 32 year old heat exchangers, two compressors and all associated freon, water and electric lines.

It got up to 75 degrees today. It's 71 right now at 7:35PM. We will sit on the moon deck tonight and listen to oldies.

Weather wise, it don't get no better than this.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Darnit, Charlie! Ya just gotta rub in a little salt, don't cha! LMFAO

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Bright sunny day; went skiing at Meadows where my pass is. The snow was the best it has been all year! In Heather canyon I had to time my breathing to the up movements so as to not breath the deep snow flying in my face. I got some good video from my helmet camcorder.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

A couple of hard core youngsters water skied by today. airs warm, waters about 55.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and beautiful, but very cold ... 19º when I woke up this morning. :P

I think it's up to 25º now, but I won't be doing much outdoors except throwing a few sunflower seeds around for the birds and squirrels, and replacing the ice in the birdbath with fresh water.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Sunny, 80 degrees today. Tons of boating traffic. Tomorrow, for the last day of February we will be sunny and 85 degrees. This does not bode well for July and August here. In fact, it's kind of scary.

I am dreading garden work during those two months.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thunderstorms all night, lots of rain causing all the snow we had Friday morning to melt and runoff. The river that runs through the middle of our town is over the banks, :cry: schools are closed today for flooding (they were closed Friday for a snowstorm that dropped a foot of snow).
It is true what's said about Ohio weather..if you don't like it, wait 10 minutes and it will change.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

On my way home at 6 am it was windy and raining very hard making it hard to drive. It blew a panel out of the roof of my green house and tree limbs are down all over.
Now it is snowing like crazy; about 4" or more so far. They are talking about a few feet at the mountain, I hope it does not snow that much here. Funny it is not as cold as it was.
I expect when it is done my neighbors will be cross country skiing. I will be up to the ski area Wednesday; It may be EPIC!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sunny, low 80's with a little bit of a spitting rain this morning but all gone now. Mardi Gras is going to we a warm one this year since it is not until March 8th for Fat Tuesday. Parades have been in force for a few days now with this coming Saturday and Sunday being two of the biggest with Endymion and Bacchus parading.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It snowed about 16" and there were trees down on my road out of my place so I turned around and stayed home last night. It is melting away now and the neighbor plowed the road.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Rain, followed by more rain. All of the Mardi Gras parades for today were canceled and many will roll tomorrow following the ones already scheduled. That will make for one crazy Sunday in the Big Easy with parades from around 10 a.m. to near midnight. I'm SO glad I have had my fill of such things.

tedly
Cool Member

Cold.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

110F in the greenhouse. :P

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaydenz

Dry, 50s mostly and not below freezing at night. waaay too warm. I cant believe it's really January. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A little unreal for early January . . .

Temperatures are more or less back to normal but, after rain at the end of December (!) and record highs with strong winds a couple days ago, there's no snow. Oh, there's snow up above 4,000 feet so the ski areas are open. Snow is 64" deep at Lookout on the way into Montana.

Couple days ago, record highs in Walla Walla, Pullman in Washington; Sandpoint in Idaho; and Montana went a little crazy!

With 40mph winds here, Montana had gusts above 60mph. Fires! Over 17,000 acres of grassland and a few buildings burned! There were also fires in southern Alberta. Here are a couple stories about the

[url=https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/record-highs-fall-winds-whip-up-fires-near-billings/article_30cf386d-4286-55a1-8e38-dd5dff6fdd3b.html?oCampaign=hottopics]record highs in Montana, and[/url]

[url=https://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20120107/NEWS01/201070303/Browning-locals-thankful-after-fires]the fires![/url]

Remember when the TV weather person would tell us where it was the "coldest in the US" and Cut Bank, Montana would be the place half the time? Well, it was 53°F in Cut Bank day before yesterday. Their record for the date is -43°!

We are getting real close to only 1/2 the normal precipitation that should have fallen since September here. I'm not wishing any -43° on northern Montana but an 8" snowfall might be of some help to the folks here and on the other side of the mountains!

Steve

mtmickey

Would love to have some snowfall here in Montana. It was 53 here the other day, only 35 today and maybe some snow in a couple of weeks. Crazy winter

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hey Mickey,

is that a Snowdrop in your avatar?

It would seem appropriate if it is :) .

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”