petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Ideas about organizing?

Well, my dear hubby will be resigning from his day job in 2 months and begin working for himself in our home office. The office is a very nice sized room with two desks, three comupters, futon, two guest chairs, coffee table, pub style meeting table, and armoire. The problem is that the office has been "under construction" for the 2 years we've moved here--what needs yet to be done is finishing the ceiling and installing moldings.

But my DH is a mess! He has no storage system, and just piles his stuff any where there is a free surface. Just looking at the junk makes me feel overwhelmed.

So how to start tackling this? How do you organize your office space? I was able to successfully organize all my garden stuff last year, but am helpless when it comes to making a working office area! I need your help!!

webmaster
Site Admin

Personal File Cabinets are a good start. They typically use hanging folders with tabs. I store all of my important documents here, like receipts, invoices, etc.

Beyond that I have table top organization, like sleeves for CD-ROMs and a place to store them, specific places for sticky notes and pens etc.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you want it done well and professionally, call in a professional organizer (referrals available at www.NAPO.net). S/he will recommend systems tailored to your husband's and your needs.

Good luck. This is a major change; I've made it a couple of times.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Are you organizing HIS or your space? My sig line totally applies if it's his.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Are you organizing HIS or your space? My sig line totally applies if it's his.
*sigh* It's a shared space. He just got a client that is an independent personal assistant--maybe they can trade services!

I think I'll get a book from the library--we really just need to use the space better for storage, the furniture is arranged pretty good for now.

I already made a list and feel better--I was getting overwhelmed with all that needs to be done but if I just do one thing at a time maybe I'll succeed!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A professional organizer does much more than just put the furniture in a good manner.

Prof. organizers also set up systems for incoming and outgoing paper, systems for books and other possessions, different kinds of file systems (open? closed? color coded? all manila?) depending on the current and projected needs of the client. She also helps sort through existing papers, advising on which ones are safe to throw out and which ones should be kept. A good organizer will get it done WITH you much more quickly than you would get it done without her.

My clients (when I had my organizing business) were amazed at what we could get done in just 2 hours. Usually it was stuff they had been stymied on or dreading for months.

My experience was that, when I was there, the client and I worked at least four times as fast than the client alone could have done it. And sometimes we got projects done that the client simply didn't know were organizational in nature.

Good luck. (BTW, a personal assistant is not the same as a prof. organizer; p.a.'s will do what you need done but generally do not have the same depth of understanding about organization that prof. organizers do. I don't know if clutter is a problem for you in this office, but the NSGCD--National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization--may also be helpful.)

Cynthia

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”