msmaximus
Newly Registered

Tree Phenomenon of Job 14:7-9

Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to find out if what is described in the Bible, more precisely in the book of Job in the old testament, chapter 7 verses 7-9 is possible to occur.

If you don't have a bible, here's what it says:

"A tree is chopped off and although it is severed from its roots, after some time (I suppose with the help of humidity from a nearby body of water, cross polination etc...) new buds spring up and flowers come out.

Is this possible to take place although the actual tree is dead? New shoots and flowers popping out?

Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, IMO. Over 20 years ago, my next-door neighbor cut down one of the trees in his yard. The darned thing still sends up shoots in my yard. :P

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Elms are notoriously hard to kill.

applestar
Mod

Isn't that what happens when you coppice a tree? Some trees are better at re-growing than others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice

msmaximus
Newly Registered

Thanks for your input Applestar.

While I enjoyed reading that wikipedia article, what I'm questioning is actually the opposite.

It's not really about the part of the tree that stays (coppice) but about the new shoots and flowers budding from the part of the tree that is cut down and supposedly dead and how this phenomenon takes place.

applestar
Mod

Ah! OK. Here's an example of something similar:
Last summer, my neighbor's Bradford pear split in a heavy windstorm and he decided to cut down the whole tree. I used the trunk pieces and branches to border a new moisture-loving shade garden (I.e. the area was constantly watered with a soaker hose) A couple of the upright trunk pieces sprouted shoots. I put a stop to that by turning the trunk pieces up-side-down, but there you are. Also, some of the thicker branches were used to border a new raised lasagna garden I was starting, and their lateral branches/leaves stayed green for a long time until I stripped them off.

Does that help? :wink:

2cents
Green Thumb

msmaximus wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to find out if what is described in the Bible, more precisely in the book of Job in the old testament, chapter 7 verses 7-9 is possible to occur.

If you don't have a bible, here's what it says:

"A tree is chopped off and although it is severed from its roots, after some time (I suppose with the help of humidity from a nearby body of water, cross polination etc...) new buds spring up and flowers come out.

Is this possible to take place although the actual tree is dead? New shoots and flowers popping out?

Thanks.
I love the thought of rebirth.
There is no doubt a tree physically can be reborn. Try cutting down a Willow(they like to grow in wet soil conditions), leave the stump or dead trunk and it will sprout new growth both the stump and trunk on the ground.
We have to accept that not all trees will be born again with new life.
But, We have hope. Somethings can be sealed up in a bag and covered over.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

osage orange tree posts (note: not actually citrus) was used for fences in the oklahoma area back pre-dust bowl, partially because they so frequently would re-root and grow back into trees...pretty handy, cut down tree, chop it up, make a fence out of the pieces, and bang: row of trees.

there's a phase of the moon that's supposed to be good for cutting for regrowth (is in coppicing)...same thing probably applies for this...come to think of it, if you want it to root, maybe you'd want the opposite phase.

the tree wouldn't technically be dead, though.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure. The apple growers used to burn all their late winter prunings until they found they could force the branches to flower, and sell them for a mint to city folk. I laughed mt self silly one Saturday at the Union Square Farmers Market in NYC, watching people pay ywenty dollars a bunch for apple branches they were burning in the orchards near my home.

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All over the place in Costa Rica are living fences . They just cut branches (I don't know what the kind of tree is or if it's more than one kind) and stick them in the ground and they start growing again...

GRDrip

One last one.....when the railroad companies were stripping the redwoods out, they had lots of trouble with the redwoods re-sprouting and doing serious damage to their bridges. I guess redwoods are notorious for re-sprouting from their bark - but they are not viable - weak and not long living.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”