applestar
Mod

Insidious Mercury Around Our Homes

I don't like throwing out unrecyclable plastics (like tubs and plastic jars), but for lack of alternatives, I do. I was web-surfing to see if there're other options and came across this info about Compact Florescent light bulbs -- you know, the ones that we're being urged to switch to because they save energy? -- THEY CONTAIN MERCURY :eek:
Not a lot -- in fact just a miniscule amount -- probably just the amount that used to go into vaccines. I guess the mercury industry found another market (no wonder they folded on the vaccine issue) :roll: So we're still not rid of mercury in our environment even though it's been proven over and over how toxic it is :x
Household Hazardous Waste
Q. Why should I recycle my compact fluorescent lights and fluorescent tubes?

A. Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) and tubes come in various shapes and sizes. CFLs contain small amounts of mercury (about as much as the ink on the tip of a ball point pen). If the lights are broken, mercury vapor can enter the environment and settle into surface waters, where it can turn into highly toxic methylmercury. Fish and other wildlife can then ingest the mercury and pass it up the food chain to humans. Once mercury is in the food chain, it is almost impossible to remove. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 600 million fluorescent lights are disposed of annually, with over 80 percent ending up in landfills. Because mercury persists in the environment, you must not throw away CFLs with your regular garbage. Instead, recycle them at your local household hazardous waste facility, so the mercury, aluminum, glass, and phosphor can all be safely recovered.

Q. What should I do if a compact fluorescent light or fluorescent tube gets broken?

A. If a light breaks, put on protective gloves and carefully sweep up all of the glass fragments and any powder with a disposable hand broom and dust pan. Place the broken pieces of glass in a rigid food storage container with a snap on lid. Place the disposable hand broom and dustpan in a plastic bag and wipe the area with a damp paper towel. Put the used towel in the plastic bag as well and then place everything in a five-gallon bucket or container with a lid. The greatest potential hazard in this situation is being cut by the broken glass. Ventilate the area well. Make sure to never use the vacuum cleaner because you would contaminate your vacuum and the mercury could become airborne. Dispose of the waste at your local household hazardous waste facility.
from https://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/recyclefaq.html

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you're absolutely right. This is *only one* thing about CFLs that ticks me off: folks are being urged left, right, and center to change from regular incandescent bulbs to CFLs to "save energy." But...when the CFLs burn out or break, it's a LOT of human energy--and risk!--to deal with them. Because, as you remind us, CFLs contain mercury, toxic in even tiny amounts.

:?: Why else do CFLs and the rush to mandate them tick me off? :arrow: Because their light--as well as the light of most fluorescent bulbs--is a migraine trigger for many of us who are sensitive to flickering or wavering amounts of light.

I've put a few CFLs in the house, but I'm maxed out on how many I can switch due to the migraine trigger part of it.

Safety Idea: For folks with small children, or unstable (in walking) adults, please consider NOT putting CFLs in lamps that can be knocked down or other light fixtures which can be reached by hand. Keep them in the high-up, ceiling-type fixtures to minimize the risk of breakage.

For everyone: learn ahead of time how--and have the supplies ready--to deal with broken CFLs. Know where to safely recycle burned-out CFLs; not all recycle centers take them, because they are considered Hazardous Waste.

DH and I have labeled a box which originally contained four new CFLs as "Dead CFLs." As the bulbs burn out over time, we will put them into this box and then, when it's full, take it to the local HazWaste disposal facility.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

FYI -- A recent county recycling center newsletter mentioned that Home Depot keeps a deposit box for recycling CFL's, usually near the customer service desk. :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”