applestar
Mod

Ebooks

About Ebooks --

I like getting the older out of copyright free Ebooks for my Nokia. Then I have something to read when I'm sitting around waiting for whatever and ACTUALLY have time to read but FORGOT to bring my current reading materia :wink:

Right now, I have some Louisa May Alcott books, Anne of Green Gables series, a couple of Chestertons, Arsene Lupin translations, some myths/legend collections and a few kids stories downloaded. I also have some Sherlock Holmes that I have to transfer from the computer.

I also have a few free audiobooks downloaded in the Nokia for my kids -- Black Beauty, Anne of Green Gables, etc. 8)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Card. Niven. Asimov. Herbert. Wells (Welles?). Adams. Norton. Lewis.
So far. These are authors I've read (somewhat) extensively. There are others where I've only read one or two things, mostly in the fantasy genre. Read the Hobbit, but would like my own copy of LOTR trilogy to read at my leisure.

Christie. Poe (made for great campfire/bedtime stories at summer camp--I'm sure they wrote my parents, concerned about this demented camper, heh, heh). Hitchcock anthologies (see previous statement).

Tried to read Uris and Mitchener, but my eyes crossed. Liked the movie versions better. Sort of. Same with Little Women (required in Jr. Hi.). Fleming. Would like to read Clancy's stuff--like the movies. Elmore Leonard, too.

Would also like to read "Gulag Archipelago" some day, War & Peace (just to say I did it?, Dante's Inferno, all of Jane Austen's stuff, the rest of C.L. Lewis' stuff, that's all I can think of in the fiction category. Lots of biographies. Other non-fiction stuff is mostly what I make time for these days.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm re-reading Coleen McCulloch's series that is pretty much about Julius Caesar but starts 50 years before his birth with Gaius Marius and goes through reign Augustus. I think it's about 9 books and very hard to stop reading at night. The glossary in the first book is 300+ pages. She does a glossary in each book for words not in the previous books. It's a little complicated but if you like military and political history this series is hard to beat. Politics hasn't changed much with time. I had no idea Latin had so many filthy words.

Wing, Mitchener is a favorite. You just have to be willing to read about the first amoeba that crawled in whichever land he's writing about from Poland to Africa to Colorado.

Anybody read any of The People series by W.M. and Katherine Gear? I love those. The first book starts with native Americans crossing under the Canadian ice aged glaciers and spreading across the Americas. I think they range from about 25,000 BC to about 2500 BC. There were at least 20 books.

If you like military history mixed with pulp, the "Sharpes" series by Bernard Cornwell was great. They follow a fictitious soldier in the Duke of Wellington's campaign from Mysore to Waterloo. It was fairly graphic but for the most part historically accurate except a few character development twists. I think it was about 20 books.

Tom Clancy was great until he started co-writing in the Ops center series. The series with Jack Ryan and John Clark were brilliant. If you don't read any other books in this series, read Debt of Honor and Executive Orders. I don't think these will be made into movies because they depict a 9/11 like event. Clancy wrote these in 1994. I read them in 2002 and they were chilling.

I also forgot Nelson De Mille. His Wildfire book was another chiller. It liiks into Flight 800 from NYC and it's possible connection to the 9/11 events. It's no wonder GWB called in authors and movie makers for a skull session to consider possible terrorist plots in 2002.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I love The People books! I have the entire series. There's a similar series called The First Americans, by William Sarabande, that is also pretty good. :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tip Kisal, I'm always running out of stuff to read.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

CharlieMV you are so right about the amoeba part! Looks like I may have more time to immerse myself in a good book, my hours are severely limited at work these days. Also thinking of some of those free on-line courses from some of the "name" universities. It's older stuff, not current curricula, but still relevant. I figure investing my time in exploring/learning stuff about which I've always been curious, without leaving home or forking over $$$, worth a try, eh? Just hope my speakers/sound card are up to the lectures. Stuff gets a little muddy sometimes. Oh, and keeping the cats off the keyboard and desk while I'm taking notes. :lol: Well, that was a little off the track, but I'm sure reading is involved, too.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

So, I may have to break down and buy some of Craig Ferguson's books, including his latest. I've heard they were good, but you never know and I haven't been to a secondhand bookstore in over a year. When I do get there I forget what authors I'm looking for and end up blowing a stack on all kinds of stuff. :roll: It's like giving a junkie the key to the drug cabinet. Anyway, I'm also reminded that I'd like to get some of Tim Allen's books, I hear they're good also. Guess it depends on the ghost writer... (no scepticism here :lol: )

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

So why is it the stack of books beside my bed keeps getting higher when:
a. I can't read more than 4 pages in bed before it falls on my face or
b. If it's good then I stay up all night reading and am a zombie in the a.m.
c. Any available free time I might have to read in the daytime when I am awake seems to be gobbled up by "something else"
:?:

And what makes me think I'd have time to read the aforementioned new purchases if I can't wade through the old stuff?

Sigh.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wingdesigner wrote:So why is it the stack of books beside my bed keeps getting higher when:
a. I can't read more than 4 pages in bed before it falls on my face or
b. If it's good then I stay up all night reading and am a zombie in the a.m.
c. Any available free time I might have to read in the daytime when I am awake seems to be gobbled up by "something else"
:?:

And what makes me think I'd have time to read the aforementioned new purchases if I can't wade through the old stuff?

Sigh.
Hmmmm, not to put too fine a point on it you may want to try watching less TV judging by your " conspiracy theory" post :P Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I just finished Mitchner's "Chesapeake". It was a variation from his norm. He started the tale in 1587 just before the Jamestown colony was settled.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

wingdesigner wrote:a. I can't read more than 4 pages in bed before it falls on my face...
Oh, lord! Me, too! :roll: :oops:

I used to have to take sleeping pills to get a decent night's rest. I decided to try reading myself to sleep, and I'm lucky if I manage to get through an entire page before I conk out! :lol:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Patricia Cornwell and Michael Connelly - love murder mystery, who done it.... Great way to fall asleep at night. Although sometimes it keeps me awake :roll:

If you like dogs, a good read is, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Brilliantly written with excellent character development and raw story telling about a boy and his dog(s), and the pains of growing up after a tragic loss.

Well, time to hit the hay and crack open a book... :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

vintagejuls wrote:Patricia Cornwell and Michael Connelly
I'm currently reading Cornwell's Book of the Dead. I really enjoy her books, especially the Scarpetta series. I enjoy Connelly's work, too.

I just finished a book titled The Bone Factory, by Nate Kenyon. I don't believe I've read any of his other books, but this one was pretty good. The plot got a bit slow in a couple of places, but for the most part, moved along at a good clip.

I'm also currently reading Ranch of Dreams, by Cleveland Amory. It's about the animal rescue ranch he established in Texas. :)
Well, time to hit the hay and crack open a book... :lol:
[img]https://bestsmileys.com/yawning/2.gif[/img] I need to, but still have a few small chores to finish up for today. Soon! Very soon! [img]https://bestsmileys.com/yawning/2.gif[/img]

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I grew weary of the long suffering Dr Scarpetti. After about the 10th book it started resembling a soap opera. Her true love, the FBI guy dies, comes back to life after being undercover . Poor poor Kate. Gak :) I just ran out of tears. If you like Michael Connely, you may also like John Lescrort and Robert K. Tanenbaum. Both of them wrote series books similar to the Harry Bosch books. In the Tanenbaum books you get to throw in a totally crazy Rambo style wife who along her 200 pound mastiff attack dog balance the books with bad guys when her NY district attorney can't. If you enjoy jungle justice, the Tanenbaum books about Butch Karp and Maureen Caimpi are da bom.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks Charlie! :P

I think I'll check out the Tanenbaum books with the mastiff. Since I have a rottweiler, I enjoy reading about big dogs.

Kisal, you and I are alot alike. Container gardeners... murder mystery's... I'll have to check out the Ranch of Dreams. Being unemployed right now, I'm volunteering with a rescue group. Plan to volunteer at a hospital too; hopefully that networking will lead to employment... :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Julie, you're welcome. I'd suggest that you look up the titles on the net and read them in order. If you're a big dog lover you're going to love these stories. Ms Caimpi is a dog trainer and a lady who takes no cr*p. She works with battered women and even though it's fiction it's satisfying to see the bad guy get what he deserves. Woof or actually WOOF!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

:-() According to an article in my local paper, Christopher Robin is returning to the Hundred Acre Wood! They published an illustration from the new book and it looks remarkably like Shepard's work! Darn near cried. The Trustees of Pooh Properties have approved the first (authorised) sequel in the over 80 years since Christopher Robin left. Authored by David Benedictus, he introduces a new character: Lottie the Otter, who is a stickler for etiquette and is a cricket fan. On sale Monday, 5 Oct 2009.

Promise kept. O:)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”