applestar
Mod

Introducing Jason, the black dog rockstar!

edited: You know what, I changed my mind. I wanted to generate positive support for them, but in an open forum like this, there will also be negative feedback... you can't pick and choose... and they don't need that.
Webmaster, please remove this thread.
Thanks.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Nuts, now I'm curious. I thought there would be photos of someone's black Labrador Retriever doing stuff. Really, that's what I thought!

applestar
Mod

Okay, I've thought it over again, and with some supportive words from friends, have decided to re-instate this thread.
Please send him/them your good thoughts and/or prayers. :-()

Read about Jason on the weblog my brother started for his dog:
https://blackdogrockstar.wordpress.com/about/
You'll find the details there, but essentially, he's a 11+ yr old black German shepherd who's hindquarters have been paralyzed and now gets around on "a set of wheels". :idea:)

I know we mostly have good folks here, but if you have negative opinions, I'll thank you to go run around the house a couple of times and please keep them to yourself. :|

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

The photos and the videos are great. Glad you shared a link.

If that was our dog, we would have done the exact same thing. Maybe not as nice of a set up as what your brother created but we would have come up with something functional. We've all seen those little wiener dogs on wheels before so why not a German Shepherd or a Mastiff? 5 lbs, 105 lbs, or 205 lbs... it's all moot. They're part of the family and you do what you can to make them comfortable as well as to make their lives a little less complicated when they're in their twilight years.

The only thing sort of similar we had to deal with was a very large dog that aged that was struggling to get up and down even on Rimadyl. We ended up creating a canvas type whole body wrap for him that had two handles on either side. Back end up first, then the front end. Took two of us but once we could get him to a standing position, he was good to go. And, we put ramps in and out of our house because he couldn't do the two steps any longer.

I applaud your brother for his creativity in providing his dog with a contraption like that wheel deal. It may look silly but it works so it shouldn't be anyone's concern.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Actually, the wheelchair looks similar to designs I've seen on Emergency Vets (Animal Planet program)--pretty darn good job IMO. Animals show amazing adaptablility to circumstances--more so than humans sometimes.
Our greyhound thought she was a rockstar, so did the whippet. The black dog was the greyound's pet. Whippet was a cat in a dog suit.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”