Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

is it cold anywhere yet

We're still cooking in SC especially in the sunny garden. Is anybody in the U.S. or Canada cold today? Please tell me about it so that I can enjoy it vicariously. The up side of the heat is that with the fall harvest of various peas, beans, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, and okra combined with the late summer harvest, Walmart produce won't get a dime from the Charlie family.this winter. We had to buy a third freezer. now tell me about the cold please. What's it like?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Well...I looked at the weather page in my newspaper.

It was 118 deg. in Baghdad yesterday, 107 in Damascus, and 111 in Riyadh.

It was 57 in Juneau. That was the lowest high temp yesterday in the United States.

Lowest low worldwide yesterday was 37 deg, courtesy of Melbourne, Australia.

Even northern Europe and Canada are still in the 60s and thereabouts (high 20s and low 30s to Celsius people).

Not much "cool" going around yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks???

Nice to have all those veggies stored up and still coming in! Way to go!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

NEWisc

Well, it's not cold today, but a few days ago there were frost advisories for the area about 70 miles north of me. And just an hour's drive to the northwest (Lakewood, WI) the low was 29 degrees. Fortunately, our low was only 39 and the days shot up to the low 70's.

We're back into the heat now, but there will be a killing frost in a few weeks. In a little over a month the leaves will turn color, and a couple of weeks after that they will all be gone. So if you need some vicarious weather thrills in the next few weeks, just dial up Lakewood, WI on your weather service!

L.A.

Its 56 here in South Lanarkshire - Scotland. And forecast is for rain and more drizzly rain. Our summer is well and truly gone, not that we had a great one a few good days here and there. And with winter coming fast, It wil be freezing so dreading that, but used too it. :lol: :lol:

Kenshin14435

Hey everyone,
havnt been around much
I heard from my dad that it's getting in the 20's - 50's up in the rockies.
He said it should start snowing soon there. Somewhere around Denver
Take Care

NEWisc

Maybe these will help: :lol:

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/northeastwisc/Image1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/northeastwisc/Image2.jpg[/img]

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

ooooooh baaaby, now that's what I'm talkin' about. I'm gonna watch Ice Station Zebra tonight. That movie always cools me off.

dinker

Ok charlie I have been having the boohoo's :cry: fall is starting here soon it will be ice cold wet windy winter soooo :D how about we switch places :?: I love spring,summer,sunshine,my flowers,my garden
My husband might not notice :roll:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

dinker wrote:Ok charlie I have been having the boohoo's :cry: fall is starting here soon it will be ice cold wet windy winter soooo :D how about we switch places :?: I love spring,summer,sunshine,my flowers,my garden
My husband might not notice :roll:
I'd not be able to stand being so far from the sea and my boat. I'm a hundred miles now. My wife would notice :lol: We had a hell of a drive through one of your October Kansas snow storms a few years back though. I never saw such a straight interstate and we slid like we were on skis.

dinker

Darn sure sounded good even better when you added the sea and boat
I Love the water we live not to far from a lake so I understand Ive never been to the sea my husband doesnt like the water I tryed to get him over the fear of water with one of those midnight swims :wink: but midnight swims don't work well in anckle deep water :D
we do get alot of ice here but we have been lucky the longest we were with out power was 4 day's some last winter were with out power for almost a month

Jess
Greener Thumb

I have no idea how warm we have been lately and I am not in Canada or the USA but our summer has been one long drizzly, wet, horrible one. I don't think we have had more han two sunny days in a row since the end of June! I am sooooooooo bored with rain. Give me snow or sun...anything would be better.
Sure I have the beginnings of trench foot. :roll: :(

dinker

Jess I wish I could send you a little sun shine we have had alot of rain this summer but it's kansas they say if you don't like the weather here then just wait a couple hour's it will change. What is your winter weather like?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Thanks dinker. :D
Winter is pretty much a washout too these days. We used to get a decent amount of snow but global warming has definitely had an affect here. We barely get much below -3C. Used to get -10C. Still I shouldn't complain as we do not get hit by hurricanes (only 1 in 1989!)or tornados or extremes of anything. Our weather is pretty temperate.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's so hot here the squirrels are icing their nuts. I may move to England. You have plenty of water for boating don't you Jess?

dinker

thats a good one Charlie :lol:

dinker

Is's cold here today and wet 56f of course if it's below 82f I'm cold can you tell I'm a female :lol: charlie I'm doing my best to send it your way I don't want the cold. the last few day's it was in the high 80s to 90f that's what I like

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Dinker, I think our mid winters are like your early falls. We'll have tomatoes until Thanksgiving and as early as mothers day if we start them in the greenhouse. But Julys and Augusts are brutal. The damn garden sweats. I've burned my lips in the birdbath...don't ask... it was a bet with a 5 year old nephew...don't ask. Winter will be welcome by me.

dinker

That would be so nice I'm trying to talk my husband in to a green house so I can grow things all year
I wont ask but it sure sounds like your nephew got the best of you :lol:
The weather changes alot around here the next few days it could be cold or 100f are mid winter its about 0-f they say its the wind and humidity that makes it feel alot colder

brewerjamie15

Milwaukee weather just showed that in the coming week we can expect overnight temps in the 50's. Ouch. I'm not ready for this at all.

poke salad annie

here I am, outstanding in cornfields, waiting for the frost on the pumpkin and jack frost nipping at my nose..luv the glide of summer to autumn to winter to spring..no one is picking corn yet here and soybeans are far off for harvest.. lots of rain from that gustav and some cool temps yesterday

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Gee, Charlie, I hate to rain on your parade, but...
It's only been in the high 70's/low 80's most of August, which is supposed to be our hottest month; and it cools down into the 50's & low 60's at night--most excellent sleeping weather! (heh, heh, heh) Ah, but if misery loves company then our 5 days in Las Vegas in Mid-August should make you feel MUCH better. Triple digit days "cooling off" into the low-mid 90's at night. Spotted a lot of Prii (Priuses?) there, which made me feel better.

Oh yeah, and I got a whopping case of contact dermatitis from unknown plant whilst working at a friend's house up north this past weekend. Dr. said it was the weirdest case they've seen all year. Oh, yippee. :roll: One shot and several mouthfuls of steroids later the swelling and itching seem to be retreating. Any ideas on how to clean a straw hat of urushiol? No, I'm not throwing it out, I can't find another one like it anywhere and don't remember where I got it.

So, back to topic: if it's been relatively cool and dry this summer, I wonder what kind of Michigan winter we'll get? Cold and dry? Ugh. Gimme the snow cover, please!

hdaviesmt

Charlie,
You'll be happy to know that we had our first frost the night before last. We are getting down to the 30sF at night and the 60/70s during the day. I think you need to move to Montana. We even have a lake!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We hit 93 today. It's still hot and wet. That combination is fun on a boat but getting tedious in the garden.

dinker

charlie did you have any damage from the storms?
I thought maybe it would have cooled thing off a bit.
yeasterday everyone had on coats and sweat shirts tomorrow it sounds like it will be back to short's
Are you sure you don't want to trade places I have a lake 3miles away and you wont have to suffer in the heat for a while :D

dinker

Well it 9am and its drizzling I think the forcast was off no shorts for me maybe this afternoon
charlie I think the neighbors dog that never goes home want's to trade to he's on my back porch shivering

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

The highest high for the next 7 days in our forcast is 83 F. Today was glorious. Even the mosquitoes have lightened up. A day without profuse sweat is a wonderful thing. I'm completely happy.

Edit: sorry Dinker, just saw your post. All the storms bypassed us. We got a little related rain but needed it. The boat got hammered in Charleston but no damage. We had lines and fenders doubled up and she's big enough to ride up to 6 footers at the dock with little problem.

We were living aboard a few years back when a nor'easter caused us to go sit on the bank for a few hours. Our bow is 8 feet off the water and it was burying every other wave. We got tired of falling off the couch and out of the bed so we went ashore and waited a few hours until it settled down.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”