wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Olympics.2

This is for our Singapore friends: I've been hearing that the USA had some of their "camps" there before the Olympics, and I thought of you two. That is all.

webmaster
Site Admin

The opening ceremonies were mindblowing. I wished I could have been there in person.

andywph
Cool Member

wingdesigner wrote:This is for our Singapore friends: I've been hearing that the USA had some of their "camps" there before the Olympics, and I thought of you two. That is all.
There's 2 from Singapore?? I always thought I'm the only one. :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Didn't we hijack her thread? Iris or Ivy or something. Please tell me she's from Singapore and not Malaysia or some other SE Asian country...I really miss my mind sometimes. :roll:

andywph
Cool Member

Are you referring to this thread?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9727&highlight=

If you are, she's from Malaysia. Not Singapore. :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

:oops: Sigh. Like I said, I miss my mind sometimes... Yes, that's who I was thinking of... :roll: Apologies to Imp. And you, for getting the two mixed up together in my brain. And to think in Jr. High I won geography bees...

andywph
Cool Member

wingdesigner wrote::oops: Sigh. Like I said, I miss my mind sometimes... Yes, that's who I was thinking of... :roll: Apologies to Imp. And you, for getting the two mixed up together in my brain. And to think in Jr. High I won geography bees...
Its ok. :)

What's geography bees??

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

andywph wrote:
wingdesigner wrote::oops: Sigh. Like I said, I miss my mind sometimes... Yes, that's who I was thinking of... :roll: Apologies to Imp. And you, for getting the two mixed up together in my brain. And to think in Jr. High I won geography bees...
Its ok. :)

What's geography bees??

I think they're related to homing pigeons.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Sigh. :roll: Hi, CharleyMV... Feel free to ignore Charley's feeble attempt at humour...(ahem).
If you've heard of spelling bees, it's a competition for spelling words. Well, they have them for history and geography, too. I don't know why they're called "bees", except that there are quilting bees (where a bunch of folks get together and make quilts--non-competitively), too. The spelling/history/geography bees are competitions for school-age children, I don't know of any for adults. The prizes are usually monetary, in the form of scholarship monies. The most popular and recognized here in the States is the Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee. There've been documentaries and movies made about it. "Spellbound" was an excellent documentary--it starts out a little slow, but by the end the audience was cheering for the kids! Not to be confused with the other, older "Spellbound" that had nothing to do with spelling bees.
Have I thoroughly confused you yet?
Logging off for the night, these Olympics are keeping me up too late.

andywph
Cool Member

wingdesigner wrote:Sigh. :roll: Hi, CharleyMV... Feel free to ignore Charley's feeble attempt at humour...(ahem).
If you've heard of spelling bees, it's a competition for spelling words. Well, they have them for history and geography, too. I don't know why they're called "bees", except that there are quilting bees (where a bunch of folks get together and make quilts--non-competitively), too. The spelling/history/geography bees are competitions for school-age children, I don't know of any for adults. The prizes are usually monetary, in the form of scholarship monies. The most popular and recognized here in the States is the Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee. There've been documentaries and movies made about it. "Spellbound" was an excellent documentary--it starts out a little slow, but by the end the audience was cheering for the kids! Not to be confused with the other, older "Spellbound" that had nothing to do with spelling bees.
Have I thoroughly confused you yet?
Logging off for the night, these Olympics are keeping me up too late.
You are confusing me. No matter what, I guess you meant you were good at geography?

I am a failure in geography anyway. :oops:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Yes. "Were" is the important word in that sentence. I'm not as good as when I was a young whippersnapper.

Spelling bees, geography bees, history bees; are all competitions for school-aged children to test them on how well they spell, know their geography, or history. It starts within the individual school, then can go up to school district level, state level, and national level. Most are also categorized by age, as well. Bees are different than the state or federal standardized tests used for college entry qualification or to earn one's high school diploma.
Although, if one has won any of the aforementioned "bees", it certainly looks good on a college application form.
Did that help clear it up any?

andywph
Cool Member

wingdesigner wrote:Yes. "Were" is the important word in that sentence. I'm not as good as when I was a young whippersnapper.

Spelling bees, geography bees, history bees; are all competitions for school-aged children to test them on how well they spell, know their geography, or history. It starts within the individual school, then can go up to school district level, state level, and national level. Most are also categorized by age, as well. Bees are different than the state or federal standardized tests used for college entry qualification or to earn one's high school diploma.
Although, if one has won any of the aforementioned "bees", it certainly looks good on a college application form.
Did that help clear it up any?
I guess. :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

In other words, "No, Wing, it didn't help at all." Sorry, I tried. But don't they have competitions for secondary school subjects in Singapore? Math competitions, science, world history or geography? Maybe it's just a USA thing.

andywph
Cool Member

They do have competitions in Singapore. Just not called bees. :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Ahhh. :idea: Now I see. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”