tomf
Super Green Thumb

Greenhouse is coming along.

It is 20'x20' greenhouse.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Impressive to say the least. That is some pretty heavy duty construction you have going on there. What materials are you using for the walls and roof to close it in? I'm assuming a lot of glass with all that heavy lumber you are using.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am using Polycarbonate panels that pass 90% or the sunlight and on the house side on the lower wall Polycarbonate panels that pass 35% of the sun light to help cool the house. I made it like a barn and heavey duty as the panels do not add that much rigidity to the structure. In traditional buildings like houses the plywood sides give the structure a lot of rigidity and strength.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, it is definitely built to last. The framing wood doesn't appear to be treated lumber--at least none I'm familiar with, so I'm assuming you used something naturally rot resistant like maybe cedar, but I can't really make out the lumber by the pictures.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Pressure treated at the bottom, then dug fir, it will e I side so rot should not be a problem. The exhaust fan is can circulate more air than the highest estamate for it's volume as calculated for a greenhouse. Also there will be two industrial fans inside and air intake vents. I may paint it white.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Pressure treated at the bottom, then dug fir, it will e I side so rot should not be a problem. The exhaust fan is can circulate more air than the highest estamate for it's volume as calculated for a greenhouse. Also there will be two industrial fans inside and air intake vents. I may paint it white.
Not much Douglas Fir around these parts but I have the feeling it is not a cheap wood to build with. I know we have trim lumber in fir and that stuff demands a premium, especially stain grade select wood.

I don't know if you've ever painted treated wood, but it usually is a bear to keep paint on it in my part of the world. It is best to let it dry as much as you can allow it to, then put a good prime coat on it followed by the top coat paint. Even then, it is a junk shoot as to whether it will stay or not. I prefer to either spray or brush on one of those waterproof stains as opposed to painting it. That seems to absorb better into the wood and doesn't layer up like paint will.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am only going to paint the facia boards, the rest does not need it as it will not be exposed to the weather. Douglas Fir is common up here I have quite a bit growing on our land even, it make good lumber. Some of my trees are way over 100' high maybe 150'.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That thing is coming along nicely. You do good work my friend. That will last yours and your kids lifetime and with 400 sq. ft. of floor space plus the ability to shelve and hang things from the rafters, you have enough sq. footage to start your own little business.

I wish I had the space you have to do things like that. Man, I need to move out of the city!!!!!!!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have the shell done but for one roof cap I ordered, I had got the wrong one that did not match the rest of them, and did not know untill I opened the box it was in. I wired it up today ran conduit and pulled the wires to all the places it need to go. I will finish by hooking up all the things tomorrow. Then it is running the water, I am using PEX. I tosse d in a photo of my supervisor, Maggie cat.
Attachments
_DSC0040-9 copy.jpg
_DSC0028-5 copy.jpg
_DSC0037-8 copy.jpg
_DSC0027-4 copy.jpg
_DSC0026-3 copy.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Tom, that is a thing of beauty and you could eat year round with what you could grow in that greenhouse, and feed many others to boot. I'm impressed to say the least. You sir, do excellent work.

Edited to add this: Maggie looks like a tough cookie to deal with. If you've seen the Stephen Kind movie "Pet Semetary" your cat reminds me of "Gage", the cat in the movie. I truly hope her life is not along the same lines.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

WOW :!:

Words fail me.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:WOW :!:

Words fail me.
Totally agree! She is the most fabulous cat... Oh, you meant the greenhouse? Certainly worthy of such a magnificent cat.

Like gumbo and Elizabeth, I live where it's hot and humid and full of rotting things. But I really do believe that greenhouse is a thing of beauty.

Great job, tomf!

applestar
Mod

I'm in awe as well. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is amazing! You could live in it! :)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”