sunflower13

Hmm, should I be buying snow tires?

Yesterday at the garden, I saw two separate flocks of geese flying south. Kind of made me nervous :mrgreen:. Hard to imagine snow when we have 90 degrees temps for days now. Curious if they know something I don't. I am hoping for a long summer and nice fall.

DDMcKenna

I used to live up there, Pittsburgh in fact. I think everyone should learn to drive in Pittsburgh. If you can manage those streets in the winter, you can drive anywhere.

I always think back to the many times I had to drive to work early in the morning, often before the snow plows would make it around to all the streets. One of the lessons I learned early was that snow was one thing, ice is another. There was this one particular hill I had to go up to get to work. On icy mornings, when I rounded the curve at the base of that hill, I could see three or four 4-wheel drive trucks sitting off to the side at the base of the hill. They had attempted the hill but 4WD and regular snow tires were not going to get you up that hill.

I had an old 75 Impala. I had chains on it so I just drove straight up the middle of that road and dug them some tracks so they could follow me up. Sometimes that was the only way you could get around.

sunflower13

You're absolutely right, snow and ice are totally different! I had to learn to drive in the snow at 16. I prefer snow as long as it isn't too deep but ice is a bit more tricky, especially black ice. Pittsburgh sounds intense. We have some doozies but the last few years our winters have been odd. I am hoping those geese aren't trying to tell me something lol. The weather has changed quite a bit where I live. I think we are due for an intense winter. I actually don't mind winter driving too much; it is the other drivers here that drive me nuts. They fly by in their big rigs and then end up in a ditch but not before they cut you off. It is crazy! I am ok with a late winter this year lol. How many years did you live in Pittsburgh?
DDMcKenna wrote:I used to live up there, Pittsburgh in fact. I think everyone should learn to drive in Pittsburgh. If you can manage those streets in the winter, you can drive anywhere.

I always think back to the many times I had to drive to work early in the morning, often before the snow plows would make it around to all the streets. One of the lessons I learned early was that snow was one thing, ice is another. There was this one particular hill I had to go up to get to work. On icy mornings, when I rounded the curve at the base of that hill, I could see three or four 4-wheel drive trucks sitting off to the side at the base of the hill. They had attempted the hill but 4WD and regular snow tires were not going to get you up that hill.

I had an old 75 Impala. I had chains on it so I just drove straight up the middle of that road and dug them some tracks so they could follow me up. Sometimes that was the only way you could get around.

DDMcKenna

I grew up there! South side of the Burg' Went to Chartier's Valley High before I joined the Air Force which sent me all over the states. But learning to drive in Pittsburgh should be considered the premier driver's training course. They try to be sane and completely close some streets when it gets too cold. But watching a large PAT bus, (public transport), slowly turn sideways as it slides down a hill and uses the entire street before it finally straightens out at the bottom of the hill but not until after it has slid through an intersection, makes you realize this is not your ordinary set of downtown roads

I know it sounds crazy but I actually miss driving in the snow. Watching the leaves change colors and navigating the terrain is probably the only thing I miss about it though.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”