RANDLEJET
Newly Registered

OUT OF CONTROL VINES

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I ELIMINATE OR CONTROL IT? TE OR CONTROL IT?IMG]https://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o323/RANDLEJET/WILDVINES007.jpg[/IMG]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a trumpet vine to me. Notice the similar leaf and vine structure.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2659463842_23b2678316.jpg[/img]

Found this info on the web.

Growing and Controlling Trumpet Vines
By Brenda Hyde
Trumpet vines, campsis radicans are much like mint plants. How, you ask? People either love them or HATE them with a passion. My experience, living in a northern climate with cold winters, is a good one. In fact, my I gave my mom a cutting from my husband's grandmother and it took years to really get off to a good start. Imagine my surprise to find out that some people compare this beautiful vine to kudzu and poison ivy! So what are the positives and negatives to the trumpet vine (also known as trumpet creeper vine or cow-itch).
It's blooms are beautiful in shades of red, orange and yellow and they attract hummingbirds, wasps and bees that are good for the garden plus birds in the winter if you leave the pods on the vines. It can be used as a screen for privacy, and it adapts to almost any soil, except heavy and wet. It transplants easily and can be grown from cuttings and is hardy down to about -30F (-34.4C). It can be grown in elevations as high as 5500 feet and it's drought tolerant.

The problem is that in IDEAL situations it can be invasive to the point of creating enemies out of the most mild mannered home owner. What is ideal? Full sun, fertile soil, mild winters and freedom to roam.

But yet, many of us treasure this beautiful vine and can't imagine NOT growing it despite some of it's faults. What can you do?

-Do not plant it up against a house or building, though it is tempting. Try planting it against a fence that is between sidewalks, driveways or other areas like stone walls or paths that would contain it.

-Try a method that is often used for mint. Plant your vine in a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom removed--or something similar, that will keep it somewhat contained.

-Plant next to a telephone pole or light pole where it can climb and you can mow the grass around it regularly to head off shoots.

-Deadhead the trumpet vine, AND keep it trimmed back in the spring and fall once it starts taking off.

-Wear gloves when handling trumpet vine. Some people will get a rash from handling the foliage, so it's better to err on the cautious side.

-Some modern cultivars are suppose to be less invasive than the trumpet vine found in the ditches and growing wild.

-Do not use a tree as a pole for the trumpet vine to climb. Eventually it will strangle the tree. Use an actual pole or fence instead and again, prune in spring or fall, or even during mild winters.

For many of us trumpet vine is a valuable plant for wildlife, and a sentimental plant that we remember from our grandmother's yard and garden. Know your climate, take precautions, and you can grow it too!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I love trumpet vines! So do the hummingbirds in my area! :D

I have learned that, in the fall, you can cut them back to about 1 foot above the ground, and they will resprout nicely in the spring. It keeps them bushier and they don't get so huge.

As far as sprouts that pop up in my flower beds and lawn, I just chop them off with the lawn mower or a hoe when I mow and weed. They never come back in the same place. I've had my trumpet vines for decades, and they have never really become a problem. :)

Return to “Lawn Care”