focusedzx3
Newly Registered

yellow spots in a new lawn of bermuda

Hello all, I'm new to the helpful gardener and lawn and gardening in general, took a horticulture class and learned some basics, but that was ten years ago, hehe. Anyway, I live in what I would say is mid west texas, and just purchased a new house and planted a new lawn. I didn't do any soil testing, and just took some general advice from friends and family and a little of my own to plant some bermuda grass. here are the steps I took.

1 raked the soil and broadcast spread a lawn starter fertilizer ?-?-? and went double coverage with the seed then raked back over it.

2 watered 2-3 a day for 30 min, 30 min, and 1 hr (morning, lunch, and evening). after about 10 days it started coming up.

3 after about 3 more weeks of steady watering it was time to mow and during the 3 weeks I noticed 2 small yellow spots start to form in my healthy lush grass and I also noticed the water kinda pooled up in these spots, but due to the texas heat they never lasted long after I turned off the water

4 1 week after mowing the yard its due for another cut but I just noticed the spots are looking 2-3 times bigger now. and here I write asking for advice.

could it be the h2o pooling, iron deficency, fungus, and what is a cheap way of determining and solving my problem, thanks for any advice and good day to ya.

focusedzx3
Newly Registered

and the growth that is yellow is stunted compared to the healthy parts

cajnsgrl
Newly Registered

I would call a local garden center (not Lowes or Home Depot) and ask if they would look at a sod sample. I planted brand new grass last fall and one of my areas started getting dry spots. Then when it got hot it spread like wildfire, I called around and found a local garden center that would look at a sod sample. So I had to dig some up (really didnt want to due to all the work we put into leveling it but I didnt want it to die), and I took it in for them to look at. I told them everything that I do to take care of it and found out that I had a fungus. They were able to tell me what to get and recommended a good fertilizer to help it. Anyway that's what I would do.
Maren

Return to “Lawn Care”