sheldon121
Newly Registered

Purslane in new lawn

I recently seeded a new lawn. My lawn seed consisted on Kentucky blue grass, red fesque, and perenial rye grass. Everything was going great, rained every couple of days followed by some good heat, and the grass was up in no time. However, now I have s aserious infestation of purslane taking over my once promising lawn. Is there anything that can be done or should I just wait till fall and hope for the best. Picking is out of the question as there are just to many small weed growing!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The "purslane" I'm familiar with is Portulaca oleracea. If this is also your plant, you can take the best revenge by EATING IT. :twisted:

Here's what Sunset (Western Garden Book) says:

"Unimproved form is thought to have originated in India; it's an edible weed with tiny yellow flowers and plump oval leaves to 1.25 in. long. Warm weather and moisture encourage its growth. Control by hoeing or pulling before it goes to seed; don't let pulled plants lie about, since they can reroot or ripen seed. Stems and leaves can be added to salads, soups, sauces; improved garden strains are sold for the vegetable garden. Called verdolaga in Mexico, pourpier in France."

Other varieties have differently colored flowers.

Maybe a dandelion digger (what I call a "weed stick") would help you get them out?

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 17

sheldon121
Newly Registered

Well a good as it sound to eat them for some payback, I'm afraid that all that I would be eating for a week straight. I will probably leave it be for now and see how the grass does, if it is going to be choked out I'll spray it and try again this fall.

Return to “Lawn Care”