newsunrise

dandelion Removal

What ways has everyone used to get rid of dandilions? I have tuns of them and need some help. :cry: I won't use chemical and I really don't want holes all over my yard so I ask you all to tell me your secrets on the removal of the fierce dandelion...... PLEASE!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If your lawn is totally infested with them then there's really one solution and this is the very infrequent time that I will recommend this, rotatill your lawn to break the plants up and reseed your lawn. Water often so theat the grass seed over takes any weeds.

If you aren't totally infested then just use a shovel.

To really get a great lawn till some sawdust and some sort of green like manure or fish compost after tilling the dadelions in.

JPlovesflowers

Here is an interesting sight. I've heard of using the corn meal, but it works like a preemergent and so would have to be applied before the dandelions came up, the other suggestions of boiling water and vinegar are certainly worth a try. I'm going to use them on my rampant bermuda grass that wants to get in my flowerbeds all summer and see if it works. Good luck! :D
JP

JPlovesflowers

Here is the link I was talking about...sorry
https://www.plantea.com/dandelions.htm

Jess
Greener Thumb

I use vinegar on mine. I have a continuous problem with them as they seed over my fence from a common.
It is not mown as frequently as it used to be in an effort to encourage wildlife (which is a good thing) but that does mean the clocks have time to develop and they all waft my way on a windy day. :evil:
I also prevent any I have from seeding just by picking. At least that way I know I can eventually fight just the one and will not face an army of babies....prevention is better than cure...as they say.
Last edited by Jess on Sat May 24, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newsunrise

I took the kids out with me to "help" mom pick all the yellow flowers! so at least I know thats one crop that won't go to seed. They are growing in a three foot strip right along my driveway I will try the vinegar for sure and see what happens and if I can keep the kids picking all the tops I might get them under control this year.
I know they will be an ongoing problem though because I have two wild lots right beside me that do not get cut.
one other idea I came accross is digging your heal into the center of the plant and twisting it opens them up to disease. because they are a lush plant they can't handle it.
thanks for the ideas!

Return to “Lawn Care”