pf65

Problem growing grass on lawn

I have a partially shaded location lawn part of which has a large pear tree canopying it. I have seeded the area with a variety of different seed mixtures, The grass on the portion of the lawn that receives some sun but is not shaded by the pear tree has thrived . The portion below the tree has initially grown but then the grass grows sparser and sparser. This seem to coincide with the the emergence of pears. Many of the immarture pears fall and wildlife, most of all squirrels, chew and eat the pears creating a shredded pear fallout on the lawn, Any suggestions as how to counteract this problem and help to retain grass in the effected area ?

applestar
Mod

It seems to me that you described the problem.

If as you say, the “june drop” immature pears are to blame, then raking up and/or power vaccuuming/blowing those fruits might help.

I suspect it’s more than squirrels though — maybe larger animals create foot traffic and trample the grass?

If the june drop is heavy, then the grass might be smothered before the fruits break/are broken down…. The rotting fruits might invite molds that affect the grass or other feeders above and below ground (insects, grubs, worms) that also eat the grass roots, etc.

In and of itself, the dropped fruits and subsequent breakdown (and various poo) should become fertilizer — good for grass rather than opposite.

I’m curious though — why are you not removing the grass in a circle (or other organic shape) around the tree and mulching around it? Ideally, this area should be just a bit wider than the diameter of the tree canopy and should be extended yearly.

Return to “Lawn Care”