tom.mac93
Newly Registered

New turf question

Hello! New member here
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice?

I’ve recently been renovating our garden space and came to our lawn and chose to lay some new turf as it was in quite a bad state. I rotavated the existing soil to a depth of around 15cm, raked and levelled, and added a ton of screened top soil and again levelled and raked then tamped down by foot and levelled to ensure it was flat.The turf was then laid, now I appreciate it should be laid as soon as possible however in fact it wasn’t laid until the next day after it was delivered which may have been my downfall, around 26hours after delivery, in warm weather.
I watered it as soon I laid it, and continued to water it twice daily, to what I thought was sufficient. We’re now on day 4 since laying, and it’s becoming patchy and brown. Please could anyone advise on what might be happening and what to do?
picture attached is day 1(green ish) and day 4 (patchy brown). I’ve read about sod heating effect when laying the turf is delayed and wondered if it could be that? Or is it not enough water? (We’ve had no rain for weeks, but I have been watering twice daily like I said)
If it’s dead, then I think I’d rather rip it up and start again for the sake of £180 for new turf, rather than overseed and wait a few weeks for it to heal, please help!
Attachments
IMG_0432.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg

Return to “Lawn Care”