Samk
Newly Registered

Advice please for dead spots on lawn

Hi, I am new to the forum, nice to e-meet everyone my name is Sam.

I put in a lot of work this April, prepping my lawn, adding triple mix soil, seed and starter fertilizer to my lawn. Of course I watered 2 sometiMes 3x daily if the soil was looking dry.

I have received some growth in problem areas but still seeing some dead spots.

I have marked some areas below. The 3rd picture I have also marked some weeds I cant get rid of, any suggestions for that would be helpful too.

At this point should I
A) continue to wait for growth?
B) add some more seed/fertilizer to dead spots?
C) just get some sod and patch up the dead spots?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am locAted in Toronto, Ontario. I am using cool season grass, fescue, and KBG maybe one more seed but I cant remember right now, its a scotts blend for my area anyway.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
F29E45DE-EFF9-4F76-8A37-7120FEB65B2D.jpeg
1315F2A2-737F-4C33-8CCF-6231B7D78279.jpeg
EF9ACEBB-288B-4188-A7A4-52476BF4F11E.jpeg
F4D78C1E-517D-46BE-B622-0CF69CE914F7.jpeg
C59EB154-E1FC-4ED6-AC9B-BF6094E70DDC.jpeg
CAE7498A-B527-442D-AC03-150EC5F7F97B.jpeg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Rough it up a little and add a bit more grass seed. With small areas like that the existing grass will most likely fill in the bare spots but overseeing will not hurt.

Samk
Newly Registered

PaulF wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:06 pm
Rough it up a little and add a bit more grass seed. With small areas like that the existing grass will most likely fill in the bare spots but overseeing will not hurt.
Thank you Paul! I was thinking the same, I didn't want to give up just yet. I feel like going out for sod would be giving up on my hard work. Although I just want a full lawn :)
I am going to try giving those areas a gentle rake or comb with my hands and adding in more seed.

Nyan

Heh, the weeds look like plantains coming up. They are perennial and are great to crush up and put on bee/wasp stings to relieve swelling and pain, but not too pretty in grass.

I would imagine a "weed and feed" treatment might do the trick, or a broadleaf herbicide would get them out, though it may take a few applications to kill them all off.

For reseeding (which I had to do this year too) I'd agree about just roughing it a bit and gently pushing the seed against the roughened soil to get a good contact with the soil. Then water as normal to get them going again.

But the main reason I decided to reply was as I scrolled through the pictures I saw from top to bottom:
1. Turtle
2. Question mark
3. Santa's sleigh
4. Jumping pony
5. Snake!
6. RIP :cry:

Maybe there was a party on the lawn that ended badly...

applestar
Mod

:lol: I wasn’t going to comment to this thread because I have nearly zero contribution when it comes to lawns, but I just had to say I LOVE the “Santa’s sleigh” interpretation. Wonderfully therapeutic. :wink:

...oh and +1 to those benefits of allowing plantains to grow somewhere in your garden.

Samk
Newly Registered

Nyan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:32 pm
Heh, the weeds look like plantains coming up. They are perennial and are great to crush up and put on bee/wasp stings to relieve swelling and pain, but not too pretty in grass.

I would imagine a "weed and feed" treatment might do the trick, or a broadleaf herbicide would get them out, though it may take a few applications to kill them all off.

For reseeding (which I had to do this year too) I'd agree about just roughing it a bit and gently pushing the seed against the roughened soil to get a good contact with the soil. Then water as normal to get them going again.

But the main reason I decided to reply was as I scrolled through the pictures I saw from top to bottom:
1. Turtle
2. Question mark
3. Santa's sleigh
4. Jumping pony
5. Snake!
6. RIP :cry:

Maybe there was a party on the lawn that ended badly...
Hahaha, just shared that with the wife, good laugh.

Thanks again everyone!

Nyan

Hope that helps with the grass.

I suppose that's why I spend so much time in the garden... Too weird for normal folks... :-()

Return to “Lawn Care”