Gardener123
Green Thumb

Even my landscaper can't fix my nutsedge issues.

The landscaping company I use said that I had nutsedge. They came out and treated it with chemicals 2x. It seemed to go away, but in 2019 it came back with a vengeance. I have about 1/2 of my front yard infested with it - maybe a total of 1/5th of an acre is infested, but it kept spreading as the summer went on.

I noticed that neighbors now have it as well. Not as much as I do, but they have it.

Is there a dead certain guaranteed way to kill this stuff?
My lawn is like a mud bath after it rains... when my 50 pound dogs walk on it they actually sink in the mud... we had about 2" of rain over the last week.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

One of the most difficult weeds to kill, most say to remove all soil down to 36 inches and sift out every tuber is the only sure-fire way to get rid of nutsedge. In my area, the Nebraska Extension weed experts recommend SedgeHammer as a chemical method. Even the deadliest chemicals (to sedges) will take several applications to be effective. One problem for you is the spread into your neighboring yards. You kill yours and the doggone nutsedge will migrate back into your space sooner rather than later.

applestar
Mod

I suppose the wet ground isn’t helping. They thrive in my downspout raingarden rice paddy as weeds, along with Japanese millet. At least nutsedge is immediately identifiable, and they pull up —bulbuls and all— out of the mud, so they have been easier to control than the millet which needs to be allowed to grow until they can be differentiated from rice plants by the color of the basal stems.

imafan26
Mod

I have nutsedge too. It is very difficult to control it. I dug out the soil, put down several layers of newspaper and covered it with good garden soil and it kept the nutsedge at bay for about 2 years.

More than half my grass is weeds. I can only use Sedge Hammer and Image on dwarf St. Augustine. It only get the sedge that are still connected to the nuts. Loose nuts are still alive.

I had nut sedge in the garden as well. I don't use herbicides inside the vegetable garden so I do dig up the weeds. It is tedious and there can be a couple of feet or more of nuts attached. Digging and bare soil also brings dormant nuts to the surface and activates them. After trying to get rid of them by pulling them out, I just decided to plant over them. As it turns out, if light is restricted the nut sedge is sparser and a little easier to pull out. BTW I also have kylinga. The worst weed in my garden is nut sedge, but the others are California grass, baby's tears, and Fukien Tea.

Return to “Lawn Care”