zhao790
Newly Registered

How to deal with th weed?

I live in long island of New York. In my lawn there are some this kind of weeds. How do I deal with it? Thanks a lot!
Attachments
4CD67F38-D346-49D8-A97F-7D7B02D7DE01.jpeg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

You have ground ivy or what we call "creeping charlie." The following is from Rutgers so should pertain to you. This weed is persistent and difficult to eradicate. I just keep mowing it off and plant more grass seed to try and get the grass to take over.

Cultural Control
This persistent weed grows most successfully in shady areas or sparse lawns. Good horticultural practices that encourage a thick and healthy lawn are the first line of defense against ground ivy. Increasing sunlight to the lawn by trimming trees, fertilizing and watering turfgrass properly and cutting the lawn to the correct height will promote vigorous growth of turf. For specific lawn care advice, see Rutgers Cooperative Extension (RCE) fact sheet FS102, "Your Lawn and Its Care".

Chemical Control
Ground ivy is best controlled chemically by applying the herbicide Triclopyr. Triclopyr and 2,4-D combinations may also provide control however the best control occurs when using Triclopyr alone. Herbicide formulations that contain 2,4-D alone will not be effective for control. Herbicides which contain the active ingredient MCPP and/or Dicamba will only suppress the weed. For the effectiveness of other herbicide combinations, please refer to RCE fact sheet FS385, "Broadleaf Weed Control in Cool Season Turfgrasses".

Treatment is most effective in the autumn months when daytime temperatures have dropped to the 60s or low 70s. Choose a day when no rain is forecast for 48 hours following your chemical application. Read the product label carefully to determine application rates and the reapplication schedule if needed.

Ground ivy frequently grows in the shade of trees or shrubs. In these areas, spray only to wet the leaves of the ground ivy and make sure not to soak the ground to avoid uptake of the herbicide by the roots of the woody plants. Any woody or broad-leaf plant that comes into contact with an herbicide may be damaged or killed. Always be cautious when handling and using any herbicide; do not spray during hot or windy weather to avoid any herbicide drifting onto desirable plants. And before using any chemical, especially herbicides, please read the label completely and follow all the manufacturer's directions carefully.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Creeping charlie is a very common and difficult weed. If you type creeping charlie into the search box top left you will find tons here about it.

Alternatively, instead of struggling with it, you could learn to love it! :) It is a low growing ground cover that never needs mowing. It has pretty little flowers in spring. It is a member of the mint family. European settlers brought creeping charlie with them to America for its culinary and medicinal uses. Since it is extremely rich in vitamin C, it was often made into a tea and used to prevent scurvy. Or you can put it in salads.

Here's a little article about the reputed medicinal uses of it:
https://lambshoppe.com/why-I-love-creeping-charlie/

Return to “Lawn Care”