Alfons427
Newly Registered

Help - yellow meadow ants, four years disaster in my lawn

Can anyone help me? I feel desperateness ...
I'm fighting for the last four years with increasing invasion of yellow meadow ants in my lawn - sadly without success. If you dig under dry spot, you will find underground corridors with thousands of yellow ants.
After heavy rains they make small hills of the soil too, where they temporarily hide their pupaes because of moisture in the ground.
I used to try it poison them with different types of insecticides, of course including slow-acting poisons contained in bait with sugar for killing queens (Maxforce Quantum Maxforce LN, etc.).
I have not found any solution yet - they probably do not eat anything sweet. Insecticide powder does not work as well, they are still under surface in a soil.
Is there any functional advice apart from the atomic bomb? Thanks !!!
Attachments
lawn_ants.jpg

applestar
Mod

I had never heard of yellow meadow ants. According to wiki, there are different kinds depending on where you live... where do you live?

Based on description that yellow meadow ants feed on honeydew produced by root aphids which they farm/pasture on grass roots, etc. and do not forage outside/above ground, it seems to me that the way to go about getting rid of these ants is to kill off the root aphids if you can.

Obvious choice is systemic insecticide, but I don’t like systemic (toxic) anything, so I looked for organic solution — here’s are some examples from one vendor.
https://www.arbico-organics.com/categor ... ds-control

Root Aphids
How To Get Rid of Root Aphids

- Beauveria bassiana is a fungus used as a biocontrol for soft-bodied insects (aphids, thrips, whiteflies, etc.). BotaniGard 22WP is a wettable powder containing B. bassiana spores and has proven to be an effective treatment for existing populations of root aphids. It is the closest thing to a "root aphid killer". For more information about controlling root aphids with Mycotrol and/or BotaniGard, click here.
- Azadirachtin serves as a growth regulator and feeding inhibitor and can be applied as a soil drench when treating a root aphid infestation. Alternating spray treatments between azadirachtin and B. bassiana for extended periods is optimal. AzaMax is our #1 selling azadirachtin product.
- Spinosad treatments made to the soil control a number of soil-dwelling pests including root aphids. Monterey Garden Insect Spray contains spinosad and can be applied as a soil drench to all affected areas. Spinosad can be used in conjunction with Beauveria bassiana
Of these, Spinosad is widely available in different formulations and brands. It does affect beneficial insects as well as pests, so it would be best to use with caution and according to package instructions.

I think personally, I would try to find the fungus treatment.

imafan26
Mod

I have tropical fire ants in the garden, not meadow ants. I haven't been able to get rid of those either. Amdro on the mounds can help and I have poured hot water and malathion on them too. Hot water and malathion will make them move a few feet over, but you still have to kill the queen. I have put out terro outdoor bait for other sweet ants and it can take a while, but it works best to control colonies.

Return to “Lawn Care”