Dave81NJ

You will always have grubs and they don't kill trees

Hi all,

Hope to get some knowledge on this subject.
I was talking to my buddy about grubs and he stated the following

"Grubs will always be there, at least around the lawn in the soil and you'll never get rid of them at least there, and no, they don't eat on tree and shrub roots. So, don't worry about it".

How true is this statement?

Thank you.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Not quite true Dave.
Certainly most grubs and insects that live in our gardens have no ill effects on the plants we grow...in fact some are beneficial in that they help to control the ones that do the damage.
However...there are some that can do damage to our plants. Some are very specific in which plants they attack...while others are not so choosy.
It’s just a case of learning which is the goodie, which is the pest, and how much you can afford to tolerate any damage that some can cause.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pretty much there will always be grubs. They don't attack tree or shrub roots. They feed on grass roots and organic matter in the soil. They can damage your grass. But honestly, anytime I dig up my lawn, I find them, probably one per one or two square feet. At that rate, any damage they do to my (already far from perfect) lawn is not noticeable.

I worry more about the fact that they turn into Japanese beetles which can be a pest in your garden. But I think people stress too much about the JB's too. The adults live for 30 - 45 days and then they lay their eggs in the soil and are gone until next year.

Return to “Lawn Care”