fyrman435
Newly Registered

Whats wrong with my lawn!

Hello all. I'm new here so bear with me! We have lived in the same house in central California for 5 years now, and have always had a lush green lawn. However, this year something odd has happened to it. The tips of the blades are all bright yellow, and when you walk through the grass, your socks/shoes turn yellow as if you walked through a patch of pollen. Can anyone help me with what this is, and how to fix it?? I have pictures, but I can't seem to figure out how to put them on here!!

Thank you!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you may have a fungal infection, it could be that your feet turn yellow because they are being coated with fungal spores when you walk through it.

With modern lawns I'm surprised this isn't more common because what we do is create a monoculture that is doused with herbicides, pesticides and synthetic fertilizers leaving a soil with very little natural flora and fuana. Therefore when some sort of opportunistic pathogen comes along it has free rain over the lawns because there is nothing for it to compete with.

Anyway, I think in organic Forum there is a thread on organic lawwn care that might help.

webmaster
Site Admin

Opa,
Not sure if these are the links you were referring to.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1782]Organic Lawn Care[/url] and [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6850]Turfing[/url].

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Roger!

Hi Fyrman, so just give these threads a read and head the advice from other members.

Another thing that I will say is first: don't go about using a fungicide to kill this possible fungal pest. You will only cause more problems than you will solve.

Try spraying your lawn with an aerated compost tea to stem the problem.

These are easy to make, just get some non sterilized compost (should smell earthy) and place it in some buckets filled with water and use an aquarium pump to aerate it for five days. Then, spray it on your lawn and other plants.

Works really well for deturing disease and stemming insect herbivory as well.

fyrman435
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies! I will try the organic route and keep you posted!!

Brian

buddy110

What you have is a fungus called rust in the east. Fugisides are expensive and at best partially effective. The best bet is to fertilize the junk out of it and the fungus will diasappear. The grass will simply grow out.

Good luck

WestCoastHoney
Newly Registered

fyrman435 wrote:Hello all. I'm new here so bear with me! We have lived in the same house in central California for 5 years now, and have always had a lush green lawn. However, this year something odd has happened to it. The tips of the blades are all bright yellow, and when you walk through the grass, your socks/shoes turn yellow as if you walked through a patch of pollen. Can anyone help me with what this is, and how to fix it?? I have pictures, but I can't seem to figure out how to put them on here!!

Thank you!
Fyrman435, you and I have similar problems with the grass tops, only difference, the tops on my grass are black, and to walk through the grass is just a mess. Shoes, feet, " especially my poor dog" everything that touches it turns black. I need HELP!!!! Can anyone tell me what it is and what to do about it.....Thanks all.

Return to “Lawn Care”