harryhh
Cool Member

Might this help to get rid of some weeds in the lawn?

Hello Folks,

North central Illinois.

I live in a small apartment building. A few years ago our lawn service people thought they were spraying some weed killer but, it was a kill everything stuff. Killed the grass in 8 or 10 places along our sidewalks.

The weeds took over in these places and crowded out what little grass tried to grow. Now its patches of all weeds and seems to be getting a bit larger each year. Some patches are maybe 6 inches to a foot wide and a couple of feet long. Others are 2 to 3 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet long. I've put some grass seed down in the mid or late spring and did some watering, but not enough. This didn't help.

Right now, in the end of January, the grass is a little green, but the weed patches are all brown.

I don't believe any major work will be done to fix these weed patches. I was wondering if, here in the end of January, I put down a good bit of Rye grass, maybe 10 to 15 seeds per sq. inch, mixed with perhaps 5 seeds per inch of regular grass, this might get an early start in the spring and out grow the weeds. Then do the same each year in mid to late winter for a few years.

Does that sound like it might work to get the grass growing in these places?

Harry

imafan26
Mod

I would use more herbicide instead and kill the weeds in the fall, Use regular round up, water, let the seeds germinate and round up again until no more come up. Amend the soil with compost and manure then plant it with a fall cover crop of annual rye.

If you don't amend the soil and remove the weeds, the grass will never be able to compete. Weeds will always win.

Return to “Lawn Care”