Ksinley
Newly Registered

Question on applying dirt beside a fence

Hi, I have a backyard where it is all fenced in. In the back, about 3 to 4 feet from the fence is a about a 45 degree slope that runs right into the fence, which makes it a pain to mow and such. So I am going to put some dirt about 1ft high and level most of it out. I don't mind a bit of the slope but I do want the end of the yard for my mower to be perpendicular to the fence in the end so when I mow next to the fence, it is not running into the fence all the time.

My question is, the fence is wooden fence and there is some openings in it but not much, my neighbors yard is lower than mine probably about 5 ft lower. Will I need to put a solid board or anything against the fence to prevent the dirt from possibly eroding away into the neighbors yard?

I'm sure this is a simple question but id figure id ask anyways just to be sure :)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

How about some of that black plastic edging put at the base of the fence?

Ksinley
Newly Registered

Ok I will try and look for that. I have found a roll of 3ft by 50ft plastic sheet (mainly for weed preventers) but id figure I can just fold it in half so it can be a bit thicker.

I will probably use 4 small screws too to help keep it in place

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If you use some sort of material for a barrier I'd opt to go with something that water can't penetrate easily. Your biggest issue will be the possibility of the fence rotting out at the bottom with it being exposed to a lot of moisture from the soil you plan on banking against it. That weed barrier you are considering may allow water to penetrate it all over the material. If you use some heavy duty plastic, you can puncture it near the bottom of the area it will be placed against to only allow low drainage to occur.

Another thing to consider is the weight of this soil pressing against the base of the fence. How is this fence constructed? Are the fence posts metal tubular ones or are they 4 x 4 wooden posts set in the ground? Are they set in concrete or just set in the ground held in place by the soil? Who's fence is it? If your neighbor paid for, and erected the fence, I would think you'd need his permission to do what you are planning.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I had the same issue and decided to fix the problem 20+ years ago when I slipped on the hill, one foot went up against the mower the other slid under his fence.
I dug it out, laid in 6x6 PT wood, backfilled with bagged stone up against the wood then filled with dirt.

Return to “Lawn Care”