trenchdog73
Newly Registered

Possible Fairy rings? Help lol.

Good evening. I had knew I was having an issues in a few spots of my lawn but I did not realize the full extent of it until today. I was in the yard messing around with my drone when I captured the image below. I am not sure what the problem is but google has me leaning towards "fairy rings" caused by fungus. If this is the case, does anyone have advice on treating it. If this is not the case what do you think the problem is? Thank you in advance for any help.
lawn.jpg

trenchdog73
Newly Registered

I should add that the patio is new and that is fresh seed around it and the top right patches are also seeded from a recent tree removal.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've never had the pain of dealing with anything like that. But for others to help you better could you please give your general location and the type of grass? Something that works in Ohio might not work in southern California and some grasses are more susceptible to damage like you have shown.

jeff84

fairy rings from what I have seen usually enhance the health of the lawn. that doesn't mean that there isn't some form of ring pattern fungus causing your problem.

if it is fungal I would first try simply nurturing the grass for a season, and if the fungus doesn't subside or stop causing the browning of the grass, I would use a harsh fungicide at double the application rate just before a light rain is in the forecast. twice. or better yet apply during a dry spell so the fungus takes up the solution better, I would still water it in a bit though.

honestly though if you take care of the lawn I think the grass will do just fine, and be competitive enough to hold the fungus, if that is in fact what it is.

jeff84

actually it might be fungal die off from having the host plants stripped away, and it just hasn't had time to take to the new host plants.

if you have never noticed lots off mushrooms there before I doubt there are any that wide spread now, I suppose they could have hitchhiked on mulch or soil you brought in.

was it sod or did you plant grass seed?

Return to “Lawn Care”