richlich
Newly Registered

What Can I do About Fungi in Bare Patches of Lawn?

Earlier this year (April-May in Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) I used a well-known all-in-one product to patch some bare spots in my lawn and replace some nuisance grasses. The planting was done per directions. Initially the grass came up very nicely except is was a pale green. Then, two weeks after coming up, the grass patches started to die. By the end of June every single patch had expired. Later I started getting what looked like mushrooms/toadstools in my yard where these patches had died and am also getting round-looking "beads" of what looks like some kind of fungus. I know it was that product because I scratch through the dirt to loosen those beads of whatever they are and just beneath the surface is the "mulch" that was part of that product. What can I do about these fungi? I want to replant with just grass seed but am afraid the grass will not come up. Should I completely remove this mulch?

webmaster
Site Admin

Fungi are actually good for your lawn. Mushrooms are a sign of a healthy soil. They'll go away once they break down whatever was in the mulch that your lawn (apparently) can't use. Once that's done your lawn should be able to return.

Return to “Lawn Care”