dharajani
Newly Registered

weeds from neighbors

hello everyone,
I always keep getting weeds from my neighbors in backyard. I had vegetable bed over there, but it was super hard to remove weeds .My neighbors in backyard region don't clean their yard.can you please suggest some ideas to stop those weeds forever.Even suggest dome concrete landscaping designs.

applestar
Mod

Don't position your garden beds -- especially edibles -- up against the property border. Always maintain a buffer zone where you can grow things that are not super important to you or can be easily replaced.

Weeds cannot be stopped forever -- weeds are just a part of growing things and arrive by seeds on air currents, dropped by birds and animals, and mixed in soil amendments and mulches -- but garden beds with growths within your own control can be maintained as you see fit.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Mulch helps keep weed seeds from sprouting after you put in transplants or your planted seeds come up. If you lay cardboard or newspaper down first it works better. Or you can use a hoe and chop them off every week or so.

You will never be completely free from weeds. Birds drop them, wind blows them in.

imafan26
Mod

A lot of my weeds came from the neighbors' yard. They have a yard service, but I don't. Desert honeysuckle has invaded half my yard and is creeping toward my front yard. It has already collapsed two of my bench shades. The former owner planted an African tulip, I had a hard time getting the next owner to remove it. The tree was pushing my fence and dropped seeds in my and my neighbors yard and the trees are hard to kill. Fukien tea keeps reseeding in my yard they are hard to kill even with weed killers. I also have bind weed from I don't know where, and chickweed that never dies. I also had a black bamboo excape that is running under the weed mat and I round it up where ever it pokes up. I cleared some of my yard but everytime it rains hard, the bind weed comes back and I am still having to get it, chickweed and California grass out of my pots. I also have nut sedge and kylinga everywhere. I am finally seeing less nutsedge in the vegetable garden although the bind weed and spurge are still coming up. This year I am spending more time killing plants than planting them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What people said. Weeds are a fact of life for gardeners and you should just get used to weeding regularly. A little bit most every day makes light work of it and keeps you on top of the weed issue. What you NEVER want to do is let your weeds go to seed.

I don't know what you mean by "dome concrete landscaping."

As has been suggested mulching heavily reduces weeding chores by a good bit. Growing in raised beds helps against weeds that spread from the roots. For weeds around the edges (not in your garden beds) using a weed eater regularly helps make sure nothing goes to seed until you can get to pulling it. If you garden in rows, just going over the in between spaces with a hoe is a quick way to control weeds.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My issues along the back are from Ivy, the one neighbor in the back has a pool deck that is completely engulfed with the stuff. I pull it out every so often but it makes its way along the side of my fence by the neighbor that is attached to me. this woman uses her yard for trash. If I let it go, it would consume my house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ivy is nasty! If you can leave a mowed strip one mower width next to your fence, that will pretty much take care of it. Ivy does not like being mowed regularly.

Return to “Lawn Care”