civillis
Newly Registered

Grass seed germination

Hello, need an advise please.
I took all the turf away, put additional top soil, and seeded grass. After seeding I raked the soil (not too hard) but after watering it more than half of seeds are on top of the soil:( I put more than recommended anyway, but still thinking is it ok or not, will it grow, ones at the top? half thinking to go and get bags of fine top soil and putting over them? or is it too late?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you did things in the wrong order. I would have raked the soil FIRST, to make furrows and then put the seed down. Then I lightly cover it with fine topsoil or potting soil and step on it to press the seeds into the soil.

I think you still should be able to cover the seed with soil again and then press it down.

civillis
Newly Registered

I did rake it first too.
I levelled it, compacted with some plywood screwed onto my boots:D then raked it, seeded , and raked it again. it covered some seeds, but a lot of them still at the top.. Ye I think I'm going to get few bags of top soil and try to cover them, seeds are not germinated yet so maybe not too late, thanks

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I find even the seeds sitting on top will root, Plywood shoes now that is new. The rent rollers, you fill them with water. I don't
use a roller but I know about them, LOl.

Return to “Lawn Care”