JBurnaBTNH
Newly Registered

Lawn Drought Recovery

Hi All,

My lawn was impacted heavily with the drought last year. I have patches like these over several areas. I aerated, overseeded and limed last fall. Will these sections grow again this year or are they likely dead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_2153 (1).JPG

imafan26
Mod

Dethatch and top dress. Thatch is old roots. New seeds cannot establish in a layer of old roots that well. I don't know what kind of grass you have and the condition of the soil under it. Usually fertilizing at the right time of the year, core aeration, dethatching, and top dressing are semi annual chores to keep the lawn healthy. If you have drought and you don't water, there isn't much you can do to keep any lawn alive. If you have water restrictions then consider reducing the lawn size and planting a more drought resistant grass or better yet, lose the lawn and plant more drought resistant plants.

Grass needs an inch of water or rain a week. Water long, slow, deep and infrequently. It will force the roots to go deeper looking for water. If you only water briefly and shallowly, plants will dry out faster. If you step on the grass and it does not spring back you need to water it.

Return to “Lawn Care”