stanleyjscott85
Newly Registered

Lawn horse manure aged

Hi,

I have access to horse manure that is 5 year old, I live in Colorado (Clay) and considering topdressing my lawn by 1/4 inch,

Different articles on the web mentioned that the level of nitrogen evaporated (basically nitrogen level is from the urine),

Should I then add an organic fertilizer on top? any risk of burning my lawn?

I have perennial, Kentucky and fescue mix

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Not with five year old manure. I would also add some balanced fertilizer to the organic material the composted manure will provide. Turf still needs a boost of N, P and K. Perhaps a 10-10-10 fertilizer for lawns.

stanleyjscott85
Newly Registered

thanks Paul, so no risk, of burning even with the fert added?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Not if you follow label directions on amounts. Five year old composted horse manure will not add enough nitrogen to burn turf. Excess nitrogen will burn grass.

john gault
Green Thumb

What does 5-y/o horse manure look like? If I put fresh horse manure anywhere in my yard, in five years it'd be indistinguishable from any other type soil. How does one keep manure for five years :-?

imafan26
Mod

If you use fresh manure it looks more like the pellets they feed the horses. Be aware fresh hay and horse feed have a lot of weed seeds as well. That is why composted is better. Top dress is better for lawns since it is a fine compost and won't change the shape of the lawn. Horse manure won't have a lot of nitrogen. It would still be a good idea to give your lawn nitrogen fertilizer. If the lawn is older, all it needs is mostly nitrogen and maybe some iron.

Return to “Lawn Care”