perplexed
Newly Registered

Dallisgrass in Mississippi

I was told I have dallas grass, it is clumps with shoots coming off of it, I had it sprayed last year and it died and now it is back. my yard is only 3 years old and I had centipede sod put in 3 years ago , it started this last year.

I have pulled it up to no avail. Is there a solution to stop this now before it gets out of hand and do it naturally and in a cost effective manner. I thank you for any help I may receive.

imafan26
Mod

Unfortunately with weeds, you have to keep pulling them out and not allowing them to go to seed. Centipede grass is hard because many herbicides will kill that too. You have to make sure you get all the rhyzomes when digging it out or it keeps coming back. I had a similar problem with California grass and in the end, I decided to use the herbicide to kill the roots because it kept growing back and seeding faster than I could keep up with it. It did kill patches of the grass, but I can replace those.

It is also a good idea if you are mowing to make sure you wash out the deck or the weed whacker after use to make sure you don't have any seeds stuck to the equipment and move the seeds around that way. Young plants can be pulled out but established clumps are better spot sprayed.

A thick healthy lawn can usually crowd out most weeds so it is important to do your best to keep your lawn as good as it can get.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... ic2310.pdf

perplexed
Newly Registered

Thanks so much!

I saw a new product advertised , roundup gel, have you seen it? Would that work and if so where do I put it (In center) of clump.
The gel is really thick and does not get on surrounding grass.
So dallas grass is a weed correct?

applestar
Mod

Sorry I corrected the topic title to dallisgrass then realized it IS also called "Dallas grass"

"Dallisgrass" -- Paspalum dilatatum - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paspalum_dilatatum

Apparently it was originally imported for forage -- probably for cattle?

I have them popping up, too. I think I managed to bring it into my yard with hay. :? In the garden area, I was able to eliminate some clumps by cutting and slicing into the root mass below ground with a knife several times and covering with cardboard until it gave up. I also dig up clumps from the lawn and filled the bowl-shaped dimple with sod cut from another area where I was planting a tree.

I suspect it's more difficult to control in the south. Here, the winter freeze (down to single digits, sometimes negative single digits) puts a stop to them for a few months.

imafan26
Mod

A weed is essentially any plant growing in the wrong place. Especially one that reseeds or spreads easily.

The roundup gel is a new product. I haven't seen it here it, but we always get things a lot later. It still contains glyphosate and you still need to make contact with the leaves. Roundup is inactivated once it hits the soil and does not work as well on woody plants. While it looks like it will be good for broadleaf weeds and there should be less issues with drift, it can still have problems with translocation if the weed roots are fused with roots from nearby plants or if any of the gel comes in contact with non target plants.

With any product you need to read the label carefully. If you go to the product home page or google Round up label, you can read the label on line. Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link and click on "view label."

https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/round ... od11780006
https://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1614/W ... lCode=wete

perplexed
Newly Registered

I am about to buy this product Scotts® Turf Builder® Bonus® S Southern Weed & Feed2

it says it is for centapede grass but reading futher on the scotts web page it says Do not apply to lawns or mixed lawns of bahiagrass, bermudagrass, bluegrass, fine fescue, bentgrass, ryegrass, tall fescue or dichondra because injury may occur

I do have some bluegrass but I don't understand what the injury could be. I am at a loss on what to get.

Thanks!

Return to “Lawn Care”