woodman2
Newly Registered

Garden Tractor or Pedestrian Mower

Hello all,
This is my first post on hear, so please be gentle!

I have a countax 42" mower which I have had for the last 13 years.

It is showing signs of its age now, and so I think it is time for a change.

My question relates to the fact that we have recently sold some of our land and now I have about 900 Sqr Mtrs of grass left to mow.

I wonder what the collective opinion is regarding the size of the mower I now should be looking for.

Will it take too long to cut the two lawns with a 21" cut pedestrian mower?

Does a rear roller on a pedestrian mower make it easier to mow the edges of the lawn without dropping off and scalping?

All responses will be appreciated.

imafan26
Mod

It depends. Mowers are either pushed or self propelled. If the ground is flat than a push mower works fine. If you have a hill, a self propelled is less work. Some mowers adjust to the pace of the person walking behind.

Who is going to mow? Riding a tractor is easy but it can be a workout to walk behind a push mower. If you want the exercise and you have the time to mow the lawn than that is fine. The wider you get the mower, the fewer passes you have to make. A 21 inch push mower going to take longer and require more passes than a riding 42 inch mower and a personal pace will be slower than a riding mower so expect to take twice as long or more to cut the grass.

woodman2
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply.
900 sqr mtrs is a lot for a pedestrian mower.
I have just spent the last 5 hours scarifying with a pedestrian scarifier so I think I will have to buy a new tractor as I could not face that time each week.
I may go for a smaller deck this time though.
To replace my Countax mower is over £4,500 in the UK.

Return to “Lawn Care”