rwebber77
Newly Registered

Diseased grass, not sure what it is or how to handle.

Hey all, new member here! I'm in central MN and all of the snow has been melting with these awesome temps, however with that melting I'm seeing what's underneath and it doesn't look good. I've attached an image from my back yard, does anyone know what is going on here? They are noticeable lines all over the yard in random directions.

A little background:
Soil is fairly sandy, no clay.
The grass is fairly young, planted about 4 years ago. 2016 was our first year of not using chemicals, we have previously used Scotts. Now we've been sticking with Milorganite and spread a fall application of corn gluten meal, which gave us the greenest yard by far. Also, our lawn is irrigated during the growing season.
IMG_0792.JPG

Thanks!
Ryan

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hi Ryan. Welcome to HG. My brother is named Ryan. I know that there are plenty of people with that first name but he would be the oldest Ryan you would be likely to meet. He's over 70.

Do you think those may be the trails of voles that were under the snow?

I kind of expected to see snow mold and I figured I could identify that even though I know little about lawn grass diseases. Then, I am thinking that I certainly have seen lines on lawns and in pastures after the snow has melted and identified them as the paths of voles from the droppings. Anyway, thought I'd make a suggestion.

Steve :)

rwebber77
Newly Registered

Thanks Steve, I hadn't even thought of voles and we've definitely had an issue with them in the past couple of years. My mind went straight to disease as we do have snow mold in parts of our yard, fall didn't go as planned and the grass was a bit taller than it should have been when the cold hit ;)

You are correct, your brother Ryan is the oldest Ryan I've heard of!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Vole trails. We have them here if we have a lot of long lasting snow.

Return to “Lawn Care”