drakenot
Newly Registered

How do I kill my new grass seed?

I think I messed up pretty big time. I recently had a lawn company aerate my lawn. The guy offered to overseed for me with a 'nice fescue' for a small charge. I had planned to do it myself but it seemed like a good deal and the guy seemed to know what he was doing.
As the guy was leaving, I saw from his seed bag that he had put down Kentucky 31 grass seed. I'm no expert, but I believe that this grass seed is very coarse/wide bladed and doesn't make for the best lawn. I'm looking for a more fine-bladed fescue.
What are my options here? It was my mistake that I didn't inquire to the specific seed type before he overseeded. However, I now have my lawn recently aerated and seeded with a seed type that I'm not happy about.
Should I withhold water from my lawn and hope it doesn't germinate? Should I put down some type of granulated weed killer? Should I go purchase the nicer lawn seed and overseed with it on top of the k31 in the hopes that it will prevent the k31 from dominating?
I could really use the guidance from some people who know what they are doing!

applestar
Mod

Wouldn't corn gluten (pre-emergent -- I.e. Prevents seeds from sprouting) work? You could use chemical of the same type. just make sure it's not a blend with herbicides that kill existing plants.

imafan26
Mod

Preen will work but gotta do it before the seeds germinate.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Preen, if you can find it. It's being clearanced out here. How long before you can seed again depends on the type of Preen. The Organic stuff lasts around 30 days. The non organic stuff lasts around 3 months. It will be spring before you could reseed then.

Yes, Kentucky 31 is coarse grass and cheap. Probably what most lawn care people use because it's cheap.

Return to “Lawn Care”