Urban Manatee
Newly Registered

Weed and Feed Large Dry Lawn

First post. Hi everyone!

I have 2 acres of lawn in central Michigan that is peppered with weeds. This Father's day I got a pull behind spreader so I went out and got a bunch of weed and feed without really reading up on it or anything. But I haven't put it on mainly because it has been really dry here lately. I have read you should apply when weeds are actively growing, so we need some rain first. And it needs to be applied to a wet lawn, again rain, since watering all this lawn seems not that practical. Like what I water first might be to dry by the time I finish the rest of the lawn.

My question is do I need rain, then a few days later apply the weed and feed? Or is one good rain enough to then apply it after that? Or, am I just way off base all together? The weed and feed was pricier than I thought it would be so I really don't want to waste it.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

So, you'll want wet the grass, and then immediately apply the product.

It's important that the grass is wet so it will stick. You could do sections of grass. Water the section and then spread the product, move to the next section. Repeat.

You're gonna want to do this when there's no further chance of rain for 2 days. Don't water it in. Make sure you don't apply it right after you now. Wait a few days.

If it rains within a couple days of application, make sure you don't reapply immediately.

Having said all that....

If it's super dry where you live, applying this stuff will burn your lawn. You'll wanna make sure you're not applyin during drought.

If your grass is looking a little crispy, it's prolly not a good time to apply.

Urban Manatee
Newly Registered

Thanks Lindsay. Very helpful advice. I will wait a while until the rain picks back up and things aren't so dry. We just moved out to the country after many years in the city and I'm learning as I go about a lot. A follow up, I think the Ideal time would have been closer to the beginning of spring to apply that. So how effective would it be now? Or rather is there a point where it would be better to just wait until next spring? It's not an insane weed problem or anything. My main goal is honestly to walk around outside barefoot without fearing stepping on whatever those prickly weeds are that I loathe so much! The ones that lodge microscopic needles into my feet.

applestar
Mod

If that's your main goal, you might want to ID that prickly weed first to make sure that the product will be effective, and if not what will. If you can find some and take some pictures, some of the members here might recognize what it is.

:wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, Late spring early summer.

The weed ID would be helpful! It would let us know if you have perrenial weeds or annual.

For annual weeds, a nicely timed pre-emergent I. The spring and fall (in SC) will do AMAZING things for your lawn. As does cutting your lawn at the proper height and with regular frequency.

Return to “Lawn Care”