ceedeekay
Newly Registered

Patch of yellow lawn just started - how to fix

Hello, Over the past week and a half a patch of my lawn near the street has turned yellow.
It's been doing this slowly. I took a few photos and in the middle of the patch it kind of looks like something was poured on this portion of the grass. Living here since 1987, I've never had a problem like this with the lawn. (my location is in Western NY)

Can you tell me what can be done to repair this portion and what could have caused this?

webmaster
Site Admin

Keep an eye out for dog walkers at night. It could be a neighbor's dog relieving themself every evening on your lawn. That yellow patch strongly resembles what happens when a dog relieves themself on a daily basis in the same spot.

Some people walk their dogs from 10 to 11 PM, prior to going to bed. So keep a vigil one night if you're awake around that hour. If you don't see a dog walker try an earlier hour.

If you should see the dog walker, remember to not be confrontational. Most dog owners will understand if you ask them politely to have their dog do their business elsewhere (like on the curb).

ceedeekay
Newly Registered

webmaster wrote:Keep an eye out for dog walkers at night. It could be a neighbor's dog relieving themself every evening on your lawn. That yellow patch strongly resembles what happens when a dog relieves themself on a daily basis in the same spot.

Some people walk their dogs from 10 to 11 PM, prior to going to bed. So keep a vigil one night if you're awake around that hour. If you don't see a dog walker try an earlier hour.

If you should see the dog walker, remember to not be confrontational. Most dog owners will understand if you ask them politely to have their dog do their business elsewhere (like on the curb).
I thought of that. Will keep a lookout.
But could this be something else? (I'm alluding to maybe a neighbor maybe pouring something on this spot.)

webmaster
Site Admin

I couldn't speculate on something like that. What's the manhole next to the patch? Possible sewage is leaking out of there?

If it's a dog then what causes the yellowing and bald spots is nitrogen and salt. So in theory you could water it every day to get it to leach out. I notice that my bald spots go away after several heavy rains so you might want to give that a try. ;)

applestar
Mod

Webmaster has a point, it does sort of look like something came out of that covered hole and spread out in a puddle to the driveway.

...I'm also looking at the extra whiteness of the nearest driveway section -- if new concrete was poured maybe that could have had something to do with it? Do the timing of the driveway repair and the bald spot match?

williamfross
Newly Registered

The lawn could be lacking the required nutrients specifically iron or nitrogen. To remedy this you can add a fertiliser to your lawn that is rich in these vital components and it should regain its colour in a few days. Remember always follow the instructions on the packet. Too much nitrogen will also turn the grass yellow. This is the reason why dog urine damages your lawn too. If you have a dog you should encourage them to use areas of the garden that do not have grass and that you do not mind them using.

Return to “Lawn Care”