GeoffH
Newly Registered

I need help with my lawn - is it under fertilized?

I live in New England and have a fairly sunny yard. Half of it was started with seed and the other half is a blue grass sod.

Last seasons growth was fairly good and we had a mild winter. However, this season's growth has been sluggish, despite a lot of effort.

The most interesting observation is that when my dog pees in the yard, I get a circle of dead brown grass, surrounded by incredibly lush, healthy, fast growing grass. Does this mean my lawn needs more nitrogen? How can I tell how much - and what to add?

It looks kind of like the below, where the "n" represents sluggish or no growth, the "x" represents dead grass from the pee spot, and the "l"s represent the really healthy, lush grass that surrounds it
nnnnnnnnnnnn
nnnllllllllllllnnnn
nnnlllxxxlllnnnn
nnnlllxxxlllnnnn
nnnllllllllllllnnnn
nnnnnnnnnnnn

imafan26
Mod

It depends, how much do you like to mow?

Grass is mostly leaves and it should be fertilized once it is established with mostly nitrogen. Lawn fertilizer. I should fertilize twice a year in the Spring and again in the fall . (no winter here) but I don't like to mow.
the grass browns usually from a female dog because the nitrogen in the pee is too strong but the surrounding grass benefit from the nitrogen later on.

Return to “Lawn Care”