Robdabest
Newly Registered

Need help Identifying weed or grass

Hello everyone,

I am new to the lawn care and maintenance aspect of this. I am living with a friend that bought a house recently and we are wanting to put more attention to his lawn. So last year we laid a winter mix seed and fertilizer down. I live currently in the Midwest (Michigan) I understand it is most likely to early to determine what needs to be done to yield and healthy grass. Sorry if I strayed from the point but my question is this grass or a weed. Please check the pictures, this seems to be populating in random spots all across the lawn starting from the house working its way outwards.

(If Pictures are not clear enough I can upload more)
Thanks for your help.

-Robert
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Re: Need help Identifying weed or grass

A close-up of just a single clump would help a lot. What do the leaves of the "weed" look like? Do they smell when you crush them?
It looks just a little like chives to me. The leaves would be like hollow tubes and smell oniony when crushed.

Robdabest
Newly Registered

Here is an up close look. However it does not seem to be chives as I have seen and used those.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Then it might be some sort of naturalized flower bulb. I've got some that look like grass. You can dig a clump up and see if there are bulbs underneath. Dig deep, at least 6 to 10 inches.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Star of Bethlehem? Can't see the picture that great on my phone.
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

Return to “Lawn Care”