bates4jc
Newly Registered

Help identifying and killing this weed.

IMG_20160216_090419.jpg
Hello, my name is Tommy, and I live in central Alabama. I am having trouble identifying this weed - I have looked everywhere and through hundreds of photos - even agricultural college websites... Anyone here recognize it? The closest I've come is some type of hyssop. But not sure. Any help would be appreciated - it has taken over our front yard!!

imafan26
Mod

can you separate out a single plant and photo that so we can see what 1 plant looks like. This is a broadleaf weed. If you don't have anything you want to keep in this area you can use roundup or if this is in a southern turf you can use WEED-B-GON for southern turf if your grass is listed. Always make sure you read and follow directions on the label and protect the plants nearby and neighbors from drift.

bates4jc
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your quick response!! I am attaching a picture of the weed by itself after having pulled one out by the roots. It is "very" pervasive!

#grateful
Attachments
IMG_20160216_153606.jpg

JC's Garden

Does this help?
https://www.eattheweeds.com/florida-betony-150-a-pound/
AKA rattlesnake grass. It's all over South Georgia. I eat the tubers in the spring. Any other time of year they are a little too earthy tasting for me. They taste like a radish.
Good luck on getting rid of it. You'll need to follow some sort of scorch and burn program. I gave upon chemical control years ago (Decades actually). I just dig it up along with all those white white runners it shoots out.
In a lawn all I've ever done is to mow a little more often.
Check with your county agent to see what's new in chemical control for your area. Don't try to cut corners when trying to control it. Follow label instructions or just take half of what the chemical cost and throw it in a fire, you'll come out ahead.

Buccsfan
Newly Registered

JC's Garden wrote:Does this help?
https://www.eattheweeds.com/florida-betony-150-a-pound/
AKA rattlesnake grass. It's all over South Georgia. I eat the tubers in the spring. Any other time of year they are a little too earthy tasting for me. They taste like a radish.
Good luck on getting rid of it. You'll need to follow some sort of scorch and burn program. I gave upon chemical control years ago (Decades actually). I just dig it up along with all those white white runners it shoots out.
In a lawn all I've ever done is to mow a little more often.
Check with your county agent to see what's new in chemical control for your area. Don't try to cut corners when trying to control it. Follow label instructions or just take half of what the chemical cost and throw it in a fire, you'll come out ahead.
I'm familiar with Rattlesnack grass, but this is the first time I've heard of anyone eating it! Lol

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yep-rattlesnake grass-I have it, too and it's as hard to get rid of as dollarweed-you just never get it all. VERY invasive-it's even taken over mint and NOTHING takes over mint!

bates4jc
Newly Registered

Thank you so very much! I will do what I can, but you are right, it expands very quickly. Bless you for your information!

Return to “Lawn Care”