Redstevo
Newly Registered

Need help identifying this Southern US weed

Hi guys, I have a Georgia bermuda lawn, and for the past year or two I've had a lot of trouble with this type of plant in my backyard. The plant grows in bunches, and is exceedingly hard to wipe out or even contain. I first thought it was a type of sedge, but I've tried two different sedge compounds as per instructions without success...I was hoping to know if you have any tips for me? I realize that I made the mistake of mowing my lawn too short over the past year and won't repeat that mistake, but in the meantime I'm hoping to control this plant.
Attachments
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have this in my yard, too, but can't think of the name offhand. Try searching the Scott's website-they have a section for weed identity.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like what we call clump grass or orchard grass. The more you let it grow, the bigger it gets. Grass B Gone will get rid of it but it might take a couple months. Spray it once, wait a month, spray again. Much as I hate using ---cides that stuff is near impossible to eliminate without an herbicide.

Redstevo
Newly Registered

I got the grass b gone and will try it. By the way I don't know if this helps but in the summer it has little spiky balls not sure if that is unique to this species though

imafan26
Mod

I think it is a type of fescue. It is a common grass that can invade lawns and usually appears in the cool season in the South.

Roundup should work. Add a little sulfate of ammonia about a tsp to a quart water + the specified amount of roundup. the nitrate will help the roundup be absorbed by the leaves of the weed. I also put a wetter sticker in the container to help get the roundup to stick to the leaf. It can still take a few day to a week for the plant to show any signs of dying and it may have to be applied more than once especially if the roots are deep.

Redstevo
Newly Registered

Unfortunately Grass B Gone didn't do anything at all, perhaps slight yellowing, but nothing else with two separate applications. I may just have to till up the affected area and re-seed the lawn, I feel as if I've run out of options

One hopeful note is that I've cleared out a bunch of nearby overgrowth that was causing this portion of the yard to be more shaded, maybe more direct sunlight will allow better drainage here and discourage whatever this is.

imafan26
Mod

since it is a clumping grass, can't you dig it out? Otherwise round up.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yes, sounds like a job for round-up. Although a flame weeder would eliminate it but don't use that if you've got a lot of mulch or organic material in the area. You don't want to end up flaming your whole yard.

Return to “Lawn Care”