rkm
Newly Registered

help needed with new lawn pls

Dear All
I had new rolawn turf about 4 months ago. No problem until now. From the last few weeks patches start to appear and they are growing in number. Please advise what it is and how to solve the problem. Pls see attached 3 pics .
thanks
rkm
Attachments
lawn5.jpg
lawn4.jpg
lawn2.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

What general geographic area are you located in?

Do you have pets?

What kind of soil do you have, sandy, rocky, etc.?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It looks like it might be too wet. Or the handy work of an animal.

imafan26
Mod

It looks too wet too me too. I would not mow a new lawn too closely. Set your mower a half inch higher. Depending on the kind of grass and the time of year, your grass may not be quite filled in yet. Fertilize monthly for the first year. Get a long board like a strait 8-10 ft 2x4 and check the level of the lawn. If that is a low spot you can gradually fill it in with top dressing or big R a quarter inch at a time so as not to kill the grass below. Your lawn should have a slight slope to promote drainage or a swale around the house to let the water out, 2.5 inch drop per 10 is good. A drop of more than 2% might cause erosion but some slope away from the foundation is better. Most people destroy their swales when they buy their house because the first thing they do is put up walls and 'level' the yard.

Most people purchase grass based on how it looks and feels, but really you should purchase turf that is suitable for the existing conditions. People here like to use seashore paspalum because it grows fast and is a nice rich green, but it needs to be mowed every week and because it grows so fast the tender growth gets attacked by army worms. It is also called seashore paspalum because it is salt tolerant and good for sandy soils. It is prone to fungal issues when it is grown in clay soils in areas that get almost daily rain.

Return to “Lawn Care”